Friday, May 4, 2012

Why do you make stuff?

So..it's a fair enough question.

This one most recently from my daughter who is 12 and very much into giving me the third degree on just about anything these days from politics to friendships to 'if there's a speed of light and speed of sound, what's the speed of dark and quiet?'...go on, answer that one. I said 'ask your Father'.

Anyway, she says to me 'why do you make stuff Mum? So-and-so's Mum thinks it's weird.' Well, does she now...says me...who told you that? Thinking to myself that so-and-so's Mum is a bit of a spendaholic actually so not feeling terribly surprised at this turn of events.

'Well, she did. She asked me if you were a teacher or something. She thought you must teach this stuff to people'. Hmmm.. goes I .. an avenue I hadn't considered. Maybe there's something in that.

I don't know, was actually my response.

Why do I make stuff?

It's not just about saving money any more although it once was. It's now something I do because I can. I have the time, the space, the knowledge and the desire. For me, it's why wouldn't I?

I love the challenge is one reason. Figuring out how to cheat the supermarket or the beauty parlour out of my hard earned cash instead of the other way around.

It's in my genes is another reason. Mum and Nanna made stuff. Ergo ipso facto whatever, so do I.

I like doing it is a third reason.

But most importantly, to have the knowledge and the freedom to sustain our lifestyle no matter our financial status.

I have had it 'good' and had it 'tough'. The two didn't vary that much for me except in cash flow. My life and it's little satisfactions bubbled along regardless and will continue to do so.

That's the way I like it.

What's on your Tray of Bliss today?


2 comments:

  1. Making stuff makes me happy. Not sure why. Creative outlet I guess. If I am not working on a creative project I feel that something is missing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more Ailsa :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx