Tuesday, April 19, 2016

A Homespun Year...Lavish French inspired trimmed pillowcases...

 I've been pinning dreamy lace trimmed French linen pillowcases on Pinterest ever since Pinterest first sucked me into it's vortex caught my eye. I have hundreds of them on my Lush Bed Linen board.

They're lush and lavish and lacy, and really...what's not to like? 

But there is that one stumbling block. The ones I frequently admire start at $98 each. That's not for a pair. That's for one. Sigh.

So what could be easier than making my own?

You like?


 I can't decide whether I prefer the buttery ivory vintage styled cotton lace and chiffon flounced version above...

..or the more lavish appliqued, beribboned and muslin frilled soft dove grey one below...

 It's okay. At this price and with very little effort, I can have both...as many as I want.

I used inexpensive purchased pillowcases at around $6-$10 each, in white and soft grey.

I had on hand the following trims:

Muslin (Cheesecloth)
A remnant of cream chiffon
Ribbons in many different colors
Many lace trims
Bridal/Costume Appliques

I tend to snaffle these things from the bargain tables at my favorite haberdashery, and rarely pay more than mere cents per metre for them.

The appliques were just $1 each, as they were a shade of lilac that clearly isn't really in favor at the moment. They're the kind of thing that comes in a mirrored pair, and usually adorns the bodice of a costume or wedding dress. A dunk in a bucket of boiling water with a third of a bottle of grey Rit dye for polyester fabrics, where they swam around for several hours until I was happy with the shade of grey, remedied the less than stylish colour.

 A 20cm (8 inch) width of muslin was folded in half and stitched to create a double layer for my flounce. I gathered it slightly, and laid it along the open edge of my grey pillowcase, topping it with a sliver of pewter grey satin ribbon trim. I pinned all the layers together.

 I then added the applique`, pinning it into place.

 I carefully ran a line of small stitched along the ribbon, making sure I caught all the layers of muslin, pillowcase and ribbon with my stitching. I then stitched very slowly and carefully around the entire outer edge of the applique`.

 The white one was a little easier.

I cut a 15cm (6 inch) deep piece of chiffon, using the entire width of the fabric to create my frill. I left the edges raw to create a Shabby look, and gathered the material to make it fit the opening of the pillow case. Then this and my cotton, vintage inspired lace, were pinned to the top edge. Make sure you're pinning your trim to the single layered edge of your pillow case, not the one that's doubled, that keeps your pillow in place.



 Again, I carefully ran a line of stitching along the edge of the lace and chiffon, making sure I caught each layer in the stitches.

 A very lush and lovely result for a total spend of about $40, which was for the pillowcases, the appliques, and the grey dye. That $40 spend will yield me 6 embellished pillowcases. Even if I'd bought all of the trim, I'd have spent no more than a further $20 at the very most. So let's say I'd had to buy everything to start with, I'd have spent $60 for the six pillowcases, so that's $10 each.

That's a lot sweeter than $98 each! And I love them...

What do you think?

...Mimi...
 

73 comments:

  1. Those pillowcases are so very lovely! Such a wonderful touch you've added to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Jennifer. I was pleased with how well they turned out too! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  2. Wow these are son chic!
    Have a nice week

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh they are lovely Mimi. I bet you sleep well on those! Well done.
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Fiona. I like the way the applique really adds a textural detail. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  4. You are very clever. the pillowcases are divine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mimi,
    I love them all. Beautiful work, so lovely.
    Mimi is the name of a figure from Puccinis Opera La Bohème.
    Great week for you, hugs Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Barbara, I'm glad you like them. I am proud to have the name of a character from such a beautiful opera! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  6. Absolutely stunning! How creative. I have no doubts your friends are in love with them. Have a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou lovely Lynn. I take that as a true compliment from you! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Jes, aren't they pretty? Who knew a simple thing could be so lovely! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  8. Oh My Word!! Gorgeousness @ a fraction of the price! And really quite easy (OK, do-able:) as well~
    Thank you for the inspiration! Karen O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VERY do-able Karen! Glad you like them. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  9. The pillowcases are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Patsy. You are lovely to say so. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  10. Those are both very pretty. I thought I like the one with the chiffon until I saw them on the picture on the bed. They are both very pretty and you made it look so easy. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Sitting Among Friends on Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaime, I find it hard to choose a favourite too! I think the grey one wins just because of the details in that applique1! Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  11. So lovely project! Love your pillowcases. Hugs, xoox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Monika. A true compliment coming from you! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  12. Dear Mimi:
    Your sewing skills are wonderful and what you created is amazing. I love your pillows and I also am a big fan of Toile. I also must say - your nails look lovely!!! Thanks for sharing and linking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bernideen, now there's a compliment I did not expect! Thankyou so much! I love toile too. Small cushions are a way of having that effect for not much cost. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  13. Just beautiful Mimi! Love both of them but if I had to pick would go the pale grey I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Swoon! Double swoon!! True works of art. Thank you Mimi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled you like them Teresa. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  15. Completely gorgeous and luxurious. Wedding gift even!
    i have lots of laces, some vintage ruffles....ribbons and motifs. So you can see what i will be making! Beautiful Mimi!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Annabel, yes a wedding gift for sure! Imagine a pile of these, beautifully wrapped with a hand made card. How utterly lovely! I just know you will do this idea justice, and no doubt, expand upon it! Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  16. Dear Mimi,
    they are absolutely lovely. I think the grey would suit my décor and the ivory would be perfect for my BFF. now you've inspired me I just need to find a few more hours in the week to make a start!!
    Bevo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Bevo. Now you can make them too! Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  17. Your pillow cases are gorgeous, Mimi! What a beautiful job you made of them. I adore toile too so I'm liking these a lot. Stunning bedding! Thanks for sharing and linking.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful, Mimi. Both are lovely. They must brighten up the whole room.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They turned out well Amalia. I'm thrilled with them. Thankyou. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  19. BEAUTIFUL! The possibilities are endless!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So very lovely! Perfect for a bridal shower, wedding, or anniversary gift.
    Blessings, Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  21. I believe one's bed and linens should make you feel comfortable and pretty, your pillow cases do both.

    ReplyDelete
  22. those are just beautiful

    now I need to set down and do that
    i'll put it on my todo list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I'm thrilled that you like them. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  23. Your pillow cases are just lovely. Pinning and pinning.

    Thank you so much for adding this to Thoughts of Home on Thursday. You made me realize once again, that a girl really should know how to thread the sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacey, thankyou! Yep, sewing skills rule! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  24. Thank you for joining us at TOHOT.
    You are a wonderful seamstress!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These pillowcases are just gorgeous and look so pretty on you bed!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear Mimi:
    Just letting you know that this post is featured today on my blog -congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Bernideen. What an honour! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  27. How lovely are these Mimi? I love the soft grey one the best. Much nicer that you've made them, and also saved a pretty penny too. Good on you.

    Sally @ Life Loving
    #LifeLovingLinkie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much Sally. I like the grey one best too I think. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  28. Hi Mimi,
    I will be featuring your post at No Place Like Home this week. Have a lovely day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your pillowcases are dreamy and romantic, Mimi, and simply divine!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful pillows - thanks for sharing with SYC.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh Mimi, what talent you have! I wish I could sew, but it's become a lost cause with me! These are absolutely gorgeous, you should make them and sell them, I'm sure they'd sell like hotcakes! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm, hope to see you there again tomorrow! xo Kathleen Charm Bracelet Diva {At Home}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kathleen, what a lovely compliment! I am considering selling them next year when my daughter has finished school. Then I'll have time! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  32. Oh Mimi, your French pillows are so gorgeous!! Especially combined with the beautiful toile fabric of one of the smaller pillows. Thank you for sharing so generously with us the process of making. And for linking up at Simply Neutrals! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wen. Clearly we have similar tastes. I adore toile as well~ Mimi xxx

      Delete
  33. They both so beautiful Mimi! But I think the appliqued with muslin stands out more to me. The end result is so effective and I like the price a whole lot! :) Thanks for showing how it was done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. Yes I agree. That applique turned out particularly well! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  34. Oh Mimi, those are so beautiful......love them, so exquisite my dear!!
    Hope this finds you doing well............I thought maybe you were away
    or sick since I haven't heard from you...........guess you are busy making
    those gorgeous pillowcases.........
    Blessings Galore my friend,
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Nellie...how did I know you'd like these? Thankyou my lovely. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  35. Oh, Mimi. Those beautiful laces and appliques make my heart flutter! Those pillowcases are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx