Thursday, May 10, 2012

Gifts from your kitchen...

I am a big fan of home made foodie gifts.

A stylishly packaged hamper of goodies from your kitchen is always welcome, and if done thoughtfully, armed with information on the recipients personal likes and dislikes, will be eagerly anticipated by everyone.

My hampers are legendary in my family. But it took me a while to get the concept right. There is no point in giving everyone home made Limoncello or Tomato Relish if they don't consume it.

So each year, around about now, I send out a selection list to my friends and family. The list includes things like the aforementioned Limoncello and Tomato Relish, plus a range of other things like:

Pineapple, Fennel and Chilli Pickle
Onion Confit
Pancake Mix and honeycomb butter
Brandy Pate`
Chocolate Syrup
Vanilla Syrup
Ginger Cordial
Lemon Cordial
Worcestershire Sauce
Prunes in Port
Raw Chocolate Truffles
Peanut brittle
Marshmallows
Chocolate gingers
Aussie Rocky Road
Seasonal Jam
Mint Jelly

I'll be posting recipes for these over the next little while so stay tuned!

I also tend to go overboard with the packaging. I use wide double satin ribbon in soft gelati colours, and christmas baubles in similar hues to dress up the basket. I've found lengths of tulle to be the most beautiful and practical way to wrap the baskets and haunt the remnants basket at my local haberdashery to stock up on those inexpensively. But frankly tulle, when you look at the width is  more cost effective than gift wrap or cellophane anyway and it's reuseable!

Homemade gift hampers decrease the cost of gift giving significantly, and still allows you to give a lush looking gift to those you love.

Go on, start now, and you'll be all stocked up for Christmas!



2 comments:

  1. What's not to love on that list~!

    The best kind of present in my books ;]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really looking forward to seeing the recipes for these gifts! I love gift baskets - I wish someone would make one for me!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx