Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Thrifty Tuesday...Holidaying at Home!


On my Tray of Bliss today is a random thought.

How come we don't do the touristy things in our own city or country?

Is it this mentality that 'it'll always be there', or 'it's not exciting enough' or is it 'that's for tourists, not locals'?

We try to be tourists in our own city every Sunday. We go out for breakfast, take the CityCat (high speed ferry), and go exploring. We buy a pass for two hours or four hours and hop on and off as we please. One of our favourite spots is the Riverside or Southbank markets here in Brisbane. Granted, the stallholders are a little thin on the ground at the moment as many of them sufferred losses in the Floods at the start of 2011, but there's still plenty to see and admire.

Here's a stall that particularly caught my eye, just for it's sheer artistic display.


I believe the pottery is Turkish or perhaps Tunisian in origin and was wildly, gaudily, madly colourful. The riot of colour somewhat detracts from the sheer detail in some of the pieces, but any one of these items would make a showy display in your own home. And without the price tag of a trip to the aforementioned distant destinations.

The picture at the top of todays' entry is taken from a hotel in McMahons Point, Sydney where we recently spent two nights. It's the view we all imagine when we say we're off to Sydney. No Opera House, which is tucked around one of the corners, but a fabulous picture postcard shot of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Luna Park, private boats, and luxury homes on the forshore. Airfares to Sydney from my hometown of Brisbane are ridiculously inexpensive and a fun weekend can be had for very little cash, if done wisely. Like Brisbane, the ferries and High Speed Catamarans service the Harbour and River extensively and a day pass for a family is well under $100 for as much river fun as you can stand. Hop on or off, wherever you want, and soak up the sights.

I love to travel. But I also love to pretend I'm travelling when the mood takes me. I can do this whenever I want, by behaving like a tourist in my own hometown. Try it. You'll like it!

What's on your Tray of Bliss today?





3 comments:

  1. Great idea Mimi :-) I think we often look at holidaying as having to be away from home, without appreciating what is right in our back garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did this often when the kids were younger. Exploring your own city can be lots of fun. Many great adventures were had exploring our own "backyard."

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true Girls. Think what you'd save in accomodation alone!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx