Friday, May 27, 2016

Motherly Advice...Romance in the Kitchen....

 
Time for a little romance in the kitchen, and no, I'm not talking about a rendezvous over the radishes!
 
Last week I shared some photographs of the little touches in my home that lend a sense of the romantic. Romantic décor is a bit French, a little Shabby Chic, a lot of Vintage and Antique, a touch of Roccoco and Boho, and a bunch of what speaks to your heart. You can see that post here.

Sometimes the kitchen is overlooked when we decorate from the heart. Function is favoured over frippery, and what speaks to our inner selves is ignored in the name of domestic practicality. But why? Surely as in the rest of our home, our true self should shine through, even in the kitchen. After all, should it not be the hub of our families life?

In my kitchen, I adore anything vintage or antique, and have a special love for Harlequin kitchenware. All those gelati inspired tones, just make me smile. Pastels are another winner, with pink being my particular favourite.
   
My vintage canister collection is a special source of pride. Built up over many years, and sometimes just one or two canisters at a time, it's a shame to close the doors on them!
 
 


 Display your pretty bits and pieces where practical. My husbands grandmothers teacups were recently gifted to me, much to my delight, and in preference to hiding them away, I've borrowed a simple idea seen recently on Pinterest, and displayed them in a little recycled wire basket. They too, put a smile on my face each and every time I walk into my kitchen.
  
 
 Another idea sourced on Pinterest, and finally brought to fruition this week, was recycling jars as storage. I painted these lids with pearly cream paint, and tapped a hole into the center of each with a phillips head screwdriver and hammer. I then fixed these pretty cut glass cabinet knobs into the lids, and Voila! Can you imagine prettier storage? These gorgeous cut glass knobs are available in many different colours on eBay for around $2 each. A small price to pay for a gorgeous, romantic look in your kitchen or craft room!
 

 
Of course, if all that is too much trouble, heart shaped cookware, from cake tins and pie tins to casserole dishes, can be found in many kitchenware stores. I never save these things just for Valentines Day. If you don't make an effort to make your own life special EVERY day, nobody else will do it for you!
 



Dried flowers are another romantic favourite. You'll never waste a marked down bunch of roses again!
 
 

 
What about you? How do you introduce romance into your life...and your kitchen?
 
...Mimi...

 
...Mimi...

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thankyou Jes. You are a darling :) Mimi xxx

      Delete
  2. Mimi I love how you arrange things - you have a real eye for it.

    At the moment, as you know, most of my pretties are still in storage BUT we did find my vintage rose prints and I have 5 of them gracing my kitchen wall.Just need to get the wall repainted to match the rest of the house and they will be perfect.

    Love

    Lynette
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynette, it can't be too long now before you're finished. I bet you can't wait. I can just imagine the rose prints. They'd be gorgeous. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  3. So sweet and pretty! Vintage is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the door knobs used on top of the storage jars. What a simple, but lovely touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your husband's grandmother's teacups are gorgeous. They deserve their place in the light.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so pretty!

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are so happy to have you share this at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx