Friday, May 1, 2020

Motherly Advice....Gentle Encouragement for the soul....

 
 
Sometimes life is hard.

Sometimes we all feel like we're four years old again, with that hitching that precedes a flood of tears, hiccuping in our chest.

Sometimes we just need a hug.

I've had a challenging week on so many levels. What about you?

I had days where I just wanted Mum. Alas she is gone 18 years.

I know that many fall back on their faith in times of despair. At times I can do this, and sometimes, it seems I am being called to right my own wrongs, and find a way out of the despair alone.

That was the case this week.

I've really gone back to grass roots and determinedly clawed out some time for me, for reflection, for planning, for goal setting and for a good hard look at where I am in life, and where I want to be.

I've realised that nothing we do in life is a waste. If nothing else, when things don't go according to plan, we can dust ourselves off and say 'Well! What did I learn from THAT experience?'. 

I'm sure some of you think I'm referring to my recent post about the perils of enforced time with family during the Covid-19 restrictions. I can assure you that this was but the tip of iceberg of my challenging week. 

No matter the why and wherefore, I have been buoyed by so much positive sent my way in a harrowing week. Thanks to you all, I feel I am on a good path. A path that will see me fulfilling some dreams and goals, that I realise now, were buried in the humdrum and routine.   

I've always operated from a stance of gentle encouragement, and that has been my message fairly consistently. I've always felt that the best person to change your life situation is you, and offered my own experiences to illustrate that.

So now, I want to return some of the encouragement I received this week.

I want to encourage you, to do one thing in the coming seven days, that will make you proud this time next week. 

It could be a random act of kindness, for example. Last Saturday, my daughter and I bought 3 packets of Ferrero Rocher Chocolates, and approached the cleaner in the food court of our local shopping centre. We said 'Hi. We've noticed how hard you ladies work, and we're pretty sure that nobody ever acknowledges you, so we'd like to give you these chocolates so you know you're appreciated'. Her face was priceless, and she couldn't believe that someone would do that for her, and her colleagues. Heck. They were $3 chocolates. It was the gesture that made an impact. That left us all grinning from ear to ear.

Maybe you could rustle up a few bottles of Annabels' bubble bath I mentioned recently. You don't need to spend much on the bottles. Recycled bottles of any kind will do. Sauce bottles, vinegar bottles, even wine bottles if you know someone who drinks wine. Or ask at a local restaurant for their clear empty wine bottles. Wash them well, soak off the labels, and they're perfect. And free. Fancy bottle stoppers are available on eBay for under $3 each, or you can buy craft corks, and seal them with those. Imagine bubble bath in tall bottles, sealed with corks with tea dyed lace, lavish ribbon, or natural raffia tied to their necks, and monogrammes or beautiful decals attached. A gorgeous gift.

Maybe you could start a vision journal. Use this time constructively. How do you want your life to look this time next year? That journey has to begin somewhere. It might mean tidying the garden, it might mean changing jobs, or maybe it means nurturing your relationships. Just start. Having a plan, a list, and an idea of how to work towards that goal, day by day, week by week, is the only way you'll get there. You can't keep doing the same thing and expect a different result, as the saying goes. 

My primary goal this year, is to have my own limited edition magazine or YouTube channel, by Christmas. So I already have my plan on the wall. It's going to be a hard slog to make that happen and I may not get there in time for Christmas. But I'm going to try. Maybe it will be more like Mothers Day next year, and that's not a bad thing. But at least I have a plan.

Some mornings, just before I wake, I almost feel my Mothers touch on my shoulder. As if she's there, gently nudging me towards my day. I miss her hand in mine, and her gentle encouragement, terribly. But I have all of you, cheering me from the sidelines, and that is a wonderful bonus in my life.

Thankyou.

....Mimi...

20 comments:

  1. Much love dear one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Suzan. Some days are diamonds, some days are stones, right? Mimi xxx

      Delete
  2. Sending you lots of love and hugs. You can do it. You are a brave and gorgeous lady. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would watch you for sure on YouTube. I hope you follow through!
    These are challenging days for sure. I'm glad your started thinking of others. it will help. I come into contact with so few people these days. I need to think about what to do for the ones I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vickie, I've considered it often. It's the technology that is daunting. It's probably a cinch though. I'm going to do a short introductory one in the next week or so. Exciting and scary all at the same time! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  4. Sorry you have been having a tough time. The Youtube channel sounds fantastic and we all need goals! Go well Mimi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou earthmotherwithin. Yes, goals are good. One foot in front of the other,right? Mimi xxx

      Delete
  5. Having a plan, no matter how large or small it may seem, is a goal to strive for. Marking time and marching on the spot is not living it is simply existing. I am so glad that yu have found a goal and set it for yourself. Live your best life. Big squishy hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true Jane. I love what I am doing, but I'll only see my contract through to mid next year, and then I'll be at peace with having revisited my career girl days. So much of life still to explore! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  6. Mimi you know you will get through it as you have overcome obstacles before but summoning up the energy to keep putting one foot in front of the other doesn’t necessarily get easier with practice. Chins up, take time for a little breather then onward and upward. A very average week here too.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Barb. I just keep thinking I'm nearly at the crest of the hill, and then I'll be able to see my future. But then, the other side of the hill is all...well...downhill, isn't it! I'm sorry to hear your week was 'average' too. One foot in front of the other. Breathe. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  7. Mimi,
    So happy to see your posts again! I’ve had the same week and share all your feelings. I have absolute faith in your capabilities. You can do anything and you will - with the same courage and grace you’ve always displayed. Maria :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck, Mimi! You can do it. No matter what age, we always need our mother.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mimi, we all have our challenges that is for sure. If there was a resilience meter I think you'd smash it. You've been through a lot and continue to be a positive and generous person. I think a Youtube channel is a no brainer. It's the logical next step and would be a great vehicle for you to share you skills and wisdom. I feel like I watch more Youtube than TV these days. I have a number of subscriptions on things that interest me. Your idea of selling savings and style would be good. You have so many skills to share. That's a 'just do it' from me. Love Janiebabe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such a wonderful enabler Janie :) Mimi xxx

      Delete
  10. You said, "Maybe you could start a vision journal. Use this time constructively. How do you want your life to look this time next year? That journey has to begin somewhere. " Thank you. And thank you for the post on enforced family time (the one before this one). While DH & I are not WFH, (being in essential industries - working as usual); we basically go to work, come home to farm, and do it all over again. And then on the weekends I'm helping our married DS2 & DDiL while she works at a CV-19 clinic, by watching their 3 little ones (ages 3.5, 2 & almost 1). yes it is as hard as you would imagine and as wonderful with lots of kisses and hugs and snuggles. I am blessed but dang! I have NO "Me Time." Sundays, if we are not watching Littles, I am catching up with whatever I did not get done on Saturday. I feel very stressed and then I'm ashamed of myself when I think of so many who are not seeing their Grandbabies and are furloughed or have lost their jobs.
    Which is why I was inspired by your Photo Journal idea. For in a few years when the babies are bigger and this virus is just a memory. My garden, quilting, decorating, so much I want to do. Now is not the season, but it will come around again.
    Again, thank you for your encouraging words. *hug*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kay....the lack of 'me time' is draining, isn't it? Already, as restrictions ease here, I am feeling a pang of regret that I didn't do more to record it. The walk around our neighbourhood in the first two weeks of isolation was incredibly peaceful. I hope things are settling for you. Mimi xxx

      Delete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx