Monday, May 4, 2020

Panforte`...quick, easy, yum, great for gifting!

Are you stuck for a quick and easy gift for a special occasion? Birthday? Mothers Day? Fathers Day? International something-or-other Day?

This Panforte is yum, comes together in 5 minutes flat for baking, and makes a fab gift for just about any occasion.
 
 I like to do mine in a round tin, so it slices into wedges like a regular cake but you can make it in a square tin and cut into neat cubes too. I've also found that using a spring form tin, makes it easier to remove in one piece without accidents. If you don't have a spring form tin, line the base and sides of your tin with baking paper.
Some recipes for Panforte specify certain quantities for this or that sort of dried fruit or nut, but I just use whatever I have on hand and it always turns out. We like it particularly chunky, and adore whole dried figs, crystallised ginger and walnuts, with some mixed dried fruit sprinkled between. Here's my recipe. It's evolved over a few years, and withstands all sorts of substitutions, so don't be afraid to be adventurous!
 
 
The Recipe in four sentences:

Mix 3 1/2 - 4 cups of mixed dried fruit and nuts in any combination, with 2/3 cup plain flour, and a teaspoon each of Nutmeg and Cinnamon. Bring 3/4 cup condensed milk, 1/2 cup raw sugar, a good drizzle of honey and 2 teaspoons vanilla essence to a simmer in a small pan, stirring constantly, and add to the dry ingredients. Fold until well combined and transfer to a lined cake tin, before baking in a low moderate oven (150C) for 25-35 minutes till firm to touch. Allow to cool before slicing into long thin wedges.

You can present this whole as a 'wheel' for gifting, either dusted with icing sugar, drizzled with melted chocolate or garnished with gold or silver leaf. It looks very special wrapped in tulle, cellophane or muslin, with softer fabric tied in a top knot in the middle and decorated with bells or flowers.

You can add flavoured essences such as Rum, Mint, or Almond, as well as cocoa, orange zest or candied orange pieces, crystallised ginger, choc bits or whatever you fancy to personalise this one too.

The gold and silver leaf, edible, is available at Cake Decorating Stores and in the baking aisle of your supermarket. The little silver or multicoloured cachous sprinkles are another cute idea for decorating the top of your Panforte.

Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. Mimi, that looks yum. I will be like the side of a house if I am not careful so am trying to not be tempted by yummy food while at home so much. Nice to see you blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! It's healthy Chel. Dried fruit is healthy :)

      Delete
  2. Dear Mimi ,that does sound yummy and easy so I think I will ty that this week to give my mother in law. Thankyou , with love Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria I saw some in the posh deli where we live. It's was $30 for a small one! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this recipe Mimi, I am thinking my mum would love this for Mother's day. I had been wondering what I was going to get her.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tania, I love that it's so forgiving. You can pretty much chuck in any combination of fruit and nuts, and it's delicious. And pretty! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  4. Looks delicious! So many great ideas to change it up too. Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a versatile thing Vickie. You can add cocoa and make chocolate panforte too! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  5. Now that's my kind of recipe! Thank you

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx