Friday, August 17, 2018

Motherly Advice...3 Continents, 5 weeks, 1 bag...how I did it...

 One of the reasons we live such an exquisitely frugal life, is so we can afford to travel. In the last 15 years, we have had 8 fabulous overseas trips, each one a special memory for us all. But there is an art to these things, and one of the very first lessons we learned was to travel light.  We also learned quickly, that if you dress comfortably, yet well, and look neat and well-travelled, you're more likely to get upgraded. And who wouldn't prefer to travel Business Class! 
We've now done this AND been upgraded successfully many times, so I can truly vouch for the whole One Bag idea.

It takes some discipline, it takes a level of maturity on the part of the kids (but we took our 8 year old and she managed!), and you have to abandon your 'just in case' mentality, but it makes travelling much easier. No waiting around at luggage carousels. No lugging a suitcase bigger than yourself from one end of the world to the other. Or one end of the airport to another!
You have to accept some monotony in your wardrobe selections, but only you will notice. You may also have to accept the limitations that travelling light places upon grooming. But you get creative! 

We did a five week trip a couple of years ago. We travelled from Australia to England, France, and the U.S. in that time.  Husband, Daughter and I all took one carry-on bag only, and a handbag or equivalent.
Here's the thing.


Whatever you can buy at home, you can pretty much buy at the other end...unless you're going to Deepest Darkest Wherever. And even then, they have equivalents.

Resign yourself to buying consumables or specialty items at the other end. You'll be okay. In a lot of cases, toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo and conditioner are even cheaper 'there' than here. In London we bought toothpaste for 28p, deodorant for 66p and shampoo and conditioner for 99p. Same in the U.S.

Here's my packing list:

1. One cashmere poncho/cape. Easier to wear than a coat or jacket, and easier to whip on and off if the weather was warmer for some reason. I bought mine at:
http:www.boutiquejewels.com

It was half price and I paid about $250 for it. But it was worth every single cent. Lightweight, extremely warm, dressy enough for the theatre, casual enough for sightseeing. Brilliant. I'm still wearing it, several years down the track. Such a useful thing.

2. 1 x pair lightweight comfortable black pants.

3. 1 x versatile black microsuede roll neck top...wear 6 different ways.

4. 1 x bright shirt...which I wore on the plane there and back...just for variety.

5. 3 x black camisole type t-shirty things. To layer if cold, under or over another shirt, or to wear alone if warm (and it often was, believe it or not, even in October).

6. 2 x sets silk thermal underwear...also black...doubled as Pyjamas. Again, worth every cent. Very thin and lightweight under your clothing....and very, very warm. If it got too warm, it's thin and light enough, that you could pop into the loo, whip it off, and roll it into a little tiny ball in your bag. Fantastic.

7. A couple of beautiful silky scarves for dressing stuff up or just to wrap around your neck when cold.

8. 4 x pairs knickers...all lightweight synthetic, so they could be washed in the shower and dry by the next morning.

9. 3 x comfortable lightweight bras.

10. Leather or leather look alike gloves...don't bother with wool, they aren't warm enough and they get wet!

11. One skirt, knee length, for going out and for variations in weather.

12. Bathing suit...well, you never know....and I did use it!

On the plane, there and back, I wore my favourite jeans, dressy shirt, the poncho, and the only pair of shoes I took...a pair of black, medium heel, calf high boots. Again, dressy enough for going out, comfortable enough for sightseeing. I only regretted not taking a pair of thongs (flip-flops) to wear around where we were staying. I probably could have fitted them in though!

I rolled everything to pack it. The official 'One Bag' method of folding, didn't work all that well for me.

I carried and packed all of this into one large weekender, an Oroton bag, which was a gift from my sons. It was probably not as large as some overnight bags, sort of A shaped at the sides... wider at the base than at the top, and I fitted EVERYTHING in that. Husband didn't believe I could do it, but I showed him!
You won't believe how much more efficient  and streamlined you feel, travelling this way.
While everyone else is heaving and huffing and puffing, you're breezing through the airport, straight out into your new destination, fresh as a daisy.
You look more like an experienced traveller, or even 'a local' too, and you're less likely to be harassed or targeted by undesirables.
Honestly, I'm the ultimate 'must look good every day' kind of person. And we coped admirably. We even discarded some items along the way and replace or upgraded them with local bargains. So bear in mind, NOT to take your very best with you. You might find a new VERY BEST en route.

What are your best travel or packing tips?
 photo signature_zps33fd9dfd.png


18 comments:

  1. Dear Mimi, I just wanted to let you know how helpful I found your posts on menu planning and food preparation, which I read this week. I returned from shopping this morning and have prepared salad leaves and made fruit jellies. I am also preparing my meat for the week and putting it in separate bags in the freezer ready to go. I have found this latest series of articles very helpful. Thanks, Lyn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lyn, all I can say is YOU did it. Not me. I just gently guided you. Well done I say. I'm really proud of you. More on that series next week. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  2. I'm going to have to think about this. My husband and I aren't regular travelers (unfortunately)- he simply works far too much, and he doesn't like to be away from his work projects for too long (he's a scientist), plus it would be expensive (and unfortunately again, while I'm intensely frugal, my husband is...not). But in a few years, we're planning on going back to Europe, where my husband was born, and I'll be thinking about this post when I consider what to pack. I'm an overpacking, must-be-prepared-for-every-single-possible-situation kind of person by nature, so I'm going to have to unlearn that, because your way is so much more practical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Stephanie, you'll be amazed what you can do without once you get your head around the idea. We used to be the same. Pack for any possible outcome. But we quickly realised that wherever we are, we have access to those items, and mostly, we DON'T need them, so it's unnecessary weight and hassle for no good reason. Travelling light just makes sense. Honest. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  3. Ok, this post is great!!! I have never flown before and want to learn, so that I can stop driving the 12 hours to visit my daughter. She mentioned just bringing a carry on bag, so that I wouldn't have to deal with luggage. Reading this post has me excited to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PenPen, you can do this! It's not that hard. You just have to truly look at where you're going, and what's available. Sure, take your toothbrush, because really, you can brush with just water if you have to. Take a small cake of soap because if you get stuck, at least you can freshen up. The rest, apart from the clothes you're standing in, can be easily sourced and replaced if that were necessary. We've bought sweaters and jackets in thrift stores or at the sales locally where we were, that were better than what we'd packed. Crazy really. You won't look back, I promise! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  4. Hi Mimi,Clearly you are reading my mind. I off to Canada, Alaska plus New York x3 days in Sept.Im trying to figure out what to take. Every time I look at a small carry on bag my ds frowns and wants to know what I'm thinking. Im thinking the cashmere thingy sounds like a good idea. So i will now go and look at my stuff.umm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi...that sounds so much fun! You lucky thing! Good luck. Just remember to pack as light as possible, and wear your heaviest/bulkiest items...so long as they're not pyjamas! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  5. Have been trying to comment on here with out success. Trying again.
    Going to Canada and Alaska also 3days in NYC in Sept. My ds is giving me horrified looks and comments whenever I even look at cabin bags. Putting me off. Im going to give it ago though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jayjay, is this you above as well? Sorry...I have comment moderation enabled so your comments don't appear until I've viewed them first. A necessity these days unfortunately. So much spam goes on! You can do this! Mimi

      Delete
  6. Hi Mimi, we are off to North Eastern USA in January (cold...) for a month and I am seriously thinking about doing this. Not sure if it will work as winter clothes tend to take up more space but the initial thoughts are there.. Airlines in the USA also tend to charge $25 for each checked bag on internal flights so that's an incentive for a family of four. Fingers crossed I can make it work. Ahlyia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ahlyia, no we did this in what was (for us) VERY chilly weather. Just wear your bulkiest items, within reason. You don't want to get on the plane looking like the Michelin man..lol! Think lightweight and warm. That's why I suggested the silk thermals and the cashmere poncho. So warm, light and wearable, yet not bulky at all. Good luck! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  7. Hi Mimi. I love your blog and advice!!! Thank you for this article. It will be perfect for my trip to USA next year and how and what to pack have been topics I have been thinking about. One thing I wonder about is laundry. Did you find you had to do this frequently with minimal packing and how did you approach it? Bri xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bri. Yes I usually wash the clothes in the bathtub...lol! We just toss them in there, add some shampoo, squish them around with our feet, wring out, and hang somewhere. Works like a charm :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Mimi. Love your blog!!! I'm going to the USA next year and packing has been something I've been thinking about. Did you find with minimal packing you needed to do laundry more frequently? Bri xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mimi, Sorry about the double post. Can you tell me where you got your silk thermals from please. Thanks ,jay jay.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jayjay. I got mine at New Zealand Nature. Here's the link. https://www.nznature.co.nz/shop-clothing/silk/thermal-underwear

      Delete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx