Sunday, October 16, 2016

A Homespun Year....more on embroidery...Bullion Roses...

 
I adore these little Bullion Roses or Grub Roses.
 
I've always loved them but never understood why mine didn't look neat.
 
Thankfully Annabel at The Bluebirds are Nesting has solved this mystery for me.
 
In her post here, she explains that the secret to neat little grubs to form the roses, is a Straw Needle, also know as a Milliners Needle.
 
Now, I'd seen that notation in my A-Z of Embroidery book, but didn't realise how significant this fact actually was, until I tried the Straw Needles for myself.
 
Thanks to Annabel, and as you see above, I am now on the way to Bullion Rose heaven.
 
I embroidered these this afternoon, and compared to my earlier efforts, they are a dream come true.
 
I now have visions of creating beautiful heirlooms like the one below, for my darling little granddaughters.
 
Thanks Annabel!
 
Why not give embroidery a try. It's the simplest thing to start on, it's inexpensive and portable, and can turn the most ordinary things into Heirlooms.
 

 
Five Star Frou-Frou is now a never ending linkup with a featured blogger each time I post.
 
Todays featured blogger is...
 
Nicki at Sweet Parrish Place who shared how to get your home Guest ready, and a recipe for Strawberry S'mores!
 
http://www.sweetparrishplace.com/2016/10/tips-for-getting-your-home-guest-ready_13.html
 
Thanks Nicki, and thanks to all who continue to link and send the blog love.
 
 
...Mimi...

2 comments:

  1. Interesting, I'd never heard of straw needles before, but I may have to research them now. Thank you for sharing at The Really Crafty Link Party. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a neat idea! :)

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx