Sunday, February 23, 2014

The curse of a mind that won't sleep...

 
My brain does not sleep. I sleep. But I'm frequently awakened by a bolt of inspiration for something or other in the middle of the night. I keep a notebook next to my bed for this reason. This has led me to...
 
 
....recreate a childhood favourite, Frangipani Pie, which came to me in the middle of the night for no particular reason...(crushed pineapple and coconut cream, thickened with cornflour, poured into a sweet shortcrust shell, and topped with fluffy meringue)...
 

....make a Peppa Pig cake for my 2year old granddaughter, even when I do not know who Peppa is and have had cause to wonder how a show that runs for five minutes can engender such adulation...(Vanilla buttercake base, Rice Krispie and marshmallow set in a mixing bowl for 'hill', covered in tinted buttercream icing, and decorated with fondant numeral and figures, and bought sugar flowers)...
 

 .
...work out how to make fondant figures for said cake, even though I've never made a fondant figure in my whole entire life..(fondant kneaded with food colour dispensed by toothpick, fashioned into figures, and painted with food colour pens)...
 
 
....make hand dyed muslin roses (although Flora Fascinata may have influenced that particular project...thanks Flora!)...(muslin hand dyed with half strength Petal Pink dye, folded and pleated into a rose)...

 
...and make a girly gift for The Divas BFF just because she needed cheering up...this is customised perfume, body spray and Sweet Dreams spray all in a pretty box...just because...(distilled water infused with essential oils, beeswax melted with more essential oils, packaged with shredded tissue and tagged with luggage tags)..
 
The curse is of course, that I'm never going to be good enough at any of these things to make a million bucks out of it.
 
But hey....it's fun :)
 
...Mimi...

2 comments:

  1. Mimi this is utterly gorgeous!!! The kiddie cake is incredible!! You + I are too good for words!!! I have no trouble shutting my brain off to sleep...I have always been a log...however when I take a long walk...well, I come up with all sorts of notions and scripts. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Flora...I DO sleep like a log...I just wake up a lot between log-like episodes! Thankyou for your inspiration on the eco-dyeing on your recent blog post too. Guess what I'm doing today ;-)
      ...xxx

      Delete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx