Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Meals from nothing #4...Beans and Pulses...Dahl with rice and yogurt


When making a meal from nothing, it really helps to have some pantry staples on hand. I'd never be without the following:

Rice
Pulses including dried lentils, split peas and a variety of beans
Fresh herbs in the garden
Citrus trees

Both citrus and herbs, also grow beautifully in pots in a sunny spot on a balcony, so 'most' of us, can manage a few things.

With just these ingredients and some judicious preparation and planning, I think I could feed my family for weeks.

Some menu items might be refried beans, vegetarian chilli, hommus, soups, lentil lasagne or bolognaise, vegetarian tacos, moussaka with beans or lentils instead of the mince, vegetarian pies or sausage rolls, lentil burgers, red bean kievs, falafel and one of our favourites, the Dahl I prepared for lunch today.

There was some steamed rice in the fridge but not much else this morning, as it's my prepping day for the week.

A rummage in the cupboard yielded some red lentils. A quick go around in the microwave with some vege stock and other simple ingredients, and I had yummy red lentil dhal with steamed rice ready in a flash. An old and truly mouth watering favourite.

A visit to the herb garden gives me some coriander (cilantro) for garnish, and the Easiyo container holds the greek yoghurt with which to top it. If you wanted to make this vegan, you'd just replace the yoghurt with a coconut or soy yoghurt, or an earthy hommus.

Absolutely delicious, and $17.95 for the same thing, at a trendy local cafe.
 
Microwave Dahl

1 cup red lentils
1 tin diced tomatoes
1/2 - 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
1/2 teaspoon each cumin, ground coriander and ground or minced ginger
2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
Bottled or fresh lime juice
Fresh coriander
Natural yoghurt, about 2 tablespoons per person
Steamed rice (Jasmine rice is particularly lovely for this dish)
Chappatis, Roti, Tortillas (home made are nice) or Lebanese bread, warmed in the microwave or in foil in the oven.

Steam the rice, using my no fail cooking method.

Put the lentils, tomatoes, herbs, chilli, and stock into a large microwave safe dish. Microwave in 5 minutes bursts on 'high', stirring after each burst, until smooth and tender. This takes about 15 minutes in my microwave.

Stir in about a tablespoon of the lime juice.

Meanwhile, chop some of the coriander, and stir it through the yoghurt. Season with salt and pepper if you wish.

Put steamed rice into individual bowls.
 
Top with a large scoop of dahl, a spoonful of the yoghurt, and a sprinkle of chopped coriander.
 
Centre on a dinner plate with the warmed bread to one side.
 
Serve immediately.

Yum!
 
This is aromatic, tangy, spicy and fresh all at the same time, and tempting for any carnivore, due to it's satisfaction rating with all those flavoursome herbs and spices.
 
Try it and let me know whether it's worthy of being the new favourite at your house!
 
 
...Mimi...

8 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious. I will definitely be trying it. If half as good as the refried beans it is sure to become a firm favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I KNOW you're going to like this one Fairy! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, you’ve inspired me, Mimi!!

    I have red lentils and brown rice and tomato soup and limes ...... and fresh herbs, and home-milled flour to make flat bread .......

    Thank you!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love this one Rachel, I promise! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  3. This recipe sounds delicious! It sounds like a keeper. It's good h have a variety of recipes so you don't get tired of eating the same old ways with food in your pantry.
    I wish we could grow citrus but we are too far north. It was only 60 degrees today. It would be so delightful tO pick it outside our backdoor but it's readily available at the grocery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vickie, that's so frustrating on the citrus. I know we have trouble with growing different things in the sub-tropics. I think if you grow what you can, then you're more able to buy the things that fall into those gaps. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  4. Hi MImi
    Just wondering if you could direct me to your gluten free naan bread.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy. I use this one https://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/naan-bread/

      Delete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx