Thursday, May 17, 2018

War on TV Chefs...Home Made Baked Beans....

 
 
Where I live, 'Baked Beans' are squishy things in a bright orange sauce, purchased from the supermarket.
 
They're inexpensive, but truly, you can make them for mere cents. For the price of one can of baked beans, I can make a saucepan full, and mine taste really, really good. Even the carnivore in our family will eat them as a meal.
 
My home made baked beans also contain not a single processed ingredient. Not one.

They're easy, healthy, and delicious, and so much lighter in taste and texture than their canned counterparts.

Start this a day ahead of when you'll need it, to give you time to prepare the beans.

You'll need:

1/2 cup dry cannellini beans, soaked and cooked to soften (I used red kidney beans for the batch in my photo...any are fine really)
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 onion, peeled and diced
2 stalks celery, sliced down the middle and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 beef stock cube
1/2 cup water
1 dessertspoon cornflour
1 tablespoon oil

Then just:

Add the oil to a pan over a medium high heat, and fry the onion till translucent.

Add the tomato, garlic, and celery and fry until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir often.

Add the crumbled beef stock cube and stir well to combine.

Mix the water and the cornflour and add to the pan. Stir until it all thickens. Add a little more water if required to create a smooth sauce.

That's it.

Add diced bacon, speck or a teaspoon of Smokey Paprika for a great flavour boost.

Serve on toast, over rice or pasta or as a topping for baked potato, potato nests, hash browns or baked capsicums.

Yummy!
 photo signature_zps33fd9dfd.png

18 comments:

  1. That sounds great and good for a cold winter day. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're back!!! YAAAAY!! Love Veronica xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my own limited capacity....yes Veronica. Thankyou for the encouragement...Mimi xxx

      Delete
  3. I don't normally eat baked beans but my son does so I have pinned this for future reference, Mimi. I always intend to make them but never have so yours might give me a bit of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chel, these are MUCH nicer than the tinned variety :)

      Delete
  4. Looks and sounds delicious. I must try your recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, over baked potatoes would be amazing! I don't even think the carnivores at my house would notice there's no meat lol.
    Jen in NZ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mimi, Welcome back, just a probably daft questions when you say then cook beans is that just in the water they were soaked in or fresh water? Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Jo. No, rinse them after draining from the water you've soaked them in. Add fresh water and salt if you want, and cook until tender. It doesn't take long :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks Mimi, that sounds delicious. I need to start making my own baked beans instead of always buying the tinned variety. I bet it tastes so much better.
    Del

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! Inspires me to drive to a local smallgoods butcher and buy some speck. It would be delicious together. Good to see you are back blogging. Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speck is perfect for this erin. Great flavour punch for not much in the way of ingredients. Smokey Paprika does the trick too though :) And thankyou...xxx

      Delete
  9. Hi Mimi, so good to see you back, if the beans are as good as your other recipes the mob here will love them. Oh by the way the bottles for "bubbles" look great your gift ideas are inspirational. Thanks again Bevo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mimi, oh your baked beans recipe sounds really good. I love baked beans and would love to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx