Monday, June 27, 2016

A Homespun Year...Dreamy Dreamcatcher DIY....

 
I adore Dreamcatchers, and have admired them for years. Alas they are an expensive item if purchased, even when made by a local artisan. But you can make one yourself, with a few scraps of this and that, and an hour or so of your time.
 
I made this gorgeous one in neutral tones, for a birthday gift for one of my daughters friends. It was ooh-ed and ahh-ed over and now everyone wants one!
 
A Dreamcatcher this size with the added details of the shabby rosettes would sell at our Arty Markets for around $75-$95, and cost us about $10 to make. Granted we were using scraps already on hand, but if you had to buy everything you needed, you'd still spend under $20, and you'd have enough for at least 3 Dreamcatchers.
 
You'll need:
 
1. Bamboo hoop, any size. Try to keep the scale of your hoop and doiley similar. A tiny doiley in the middle of a huge hoop won't look right. The doiley needs to be centred, but with some space around it to leave room to stretch it tight. The hoops are available at Haberdashery, Craft and Embroidery suppliers and are very inexpensive. They are usually with the floristry supplies and silk flowers, as they're commonly used for wreaths and flowergirl hoops.
 
2. Lace Doiley...mine was from a thrift store and was just -20c. You can also buy them in the Discount and Dime stores in packs of 5 or 6 in varying sizes, for around $3, so either way, they're not expensive either. Imagine using vintage doileys...how pretty!
 
3. Wool, ribbon and lace in toning colours for the streamers. You'll also use this to tie the doiley to the hoop.
 
4. Scraps of fabric in three toning colours or prints to make the Shabby Rosettes.
 
5. Needle and thread.
 
6. Hessian tape and pen for the sweet little 'Be Brave Little One' tag, if you want one.
 
 
Start by laying your hoop on your work surface (I sat on the floor), and centering the doiley. Thread twine, yarn, ribbon or lace through as many strategic points on the doiley as possible. The more anchors you have, the more stable and strong, your Dreamcatcher will be. I used toning yarn to anchor mine, and threaded it through each 'point' on my doiley.
 
 
Start tying your points off, knotting each one securely. You must alternate sides when doing this to ensure your doiley is centred. So imagine your Dreamcatcher as a clock face. Start at 12 o'clock, tie it off, then drop down to 6 o'clock and anchor that point. Then move to 9 o'clock, then to 3 o'clock. 11 and 5 o'clock, 1 and 7 o'clock, 10 and 4 o'clock, and so on.
 
 
 By the end, you should have securely anchored doiley, centred and tight as a drum.
 
 
Trim all the trailing ends from your knots.
 
 
Now start cutting generous lengths of ribbon, yarn, twine and/or lace for your streamers. You'll be folding them in half to attach them, so make them twice as long as you'd like the finished streamer to be. Fold each in half and start attaching them by folding the loop over the bottom edge of your hoop, and threading the tails through the loop.
 
 
Pull on the tails gently, but firmly to lock your streamers into place.
 
Continue adding streamers, using as many textures as possible. You can use scraps of fabric too, but we had all of this yarn and lace leftover from the Victoriana Ghosts costumes I made, so we were thrilled to be able to use it all up! I love the softer tone on tone look, but of course you can make yours as bright and bold as you want.

 
As you can see, we used feather yarn, bulky yarn, lace, and ribbon. The feather yarn is particularly pretty used on this project as it has a lovely pearly finish.
 
 
Look how gorgeous it is with the sunlight shining through!
 
Now is the time to trim the ends of the tails if you want to. We left ours uneven and shabby looking, but you can trim them straight, or into a triangle point if you prefer.
 
 
These rosettes were another item left over from the costumes I made, so joy of joys...a way to use them up as well! If you'd like to make some of your own, I'll be providing a tutorial for them later this week. They are very simple, I promise!
 
 
I like to press these flat to give them a worn, and shabby look, so I dampen a teatowel, fold it in half lengthwise, and enclose the fabric rosettes in between the two damp layers. I then press them on the highest temperature for about 60 seconds to flatten them well. You can skip this step if you want a fuller looking rosette.
 
 
Next I folded the hessian tape in half, forming a V shape, and wrote my message on the two V tails.
 
I arranged the rosettes and tag where I liked them best, and pinned them into place.
 

 Then I hand stitched them, ensuring that I was catching some of the doiley behind them. You only need a couple of stitches. This is not an item that will be handled very often.
 
 
All done, and I was very happy with the result!
 
 
A few of these would make lovely Christmas gifts, and cost next to nothing to create. You can personalise them in all kinds of ways, attach things to the doiley, vary the colour combinations, and make different sizes. You can even leave the doiley out altogether, and weave a shape with yarn in the middle. I've also seen them empty in the middle, but then they're not really a 'dreamcatcher' are they? There's nowhere for the 'dreams' to 'catch'! They still look pretty though, so you're only limited by your imagination.

I'll be making some more masculine ones soon, using darker, neutral colours, and more rustic looking tree branches. I'll share those when they're done.
 
They're also a popular Wedding decoration at the moment, and I can just envisage a series of these as ceremony and reception decorations at a Boho wedding. Stunning!
 
What do you think?
 
Will you try making your own Dreamcatcher?
...Mimi...

54 comments:

  1. Well done, Mimi, these do indeed look gorgeous! I think I will put them on the Christmas gift list to make for my lovely nieces xx Fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona! I've meant to make one for years. In the end, it was so simple, I wondered why I hadn't done it sooner! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  2. This is absolutely GORGEOUS, my friend. I am in love with your dream catcher {{smiles}} Everything is simply perfect.

    Enjoy your week! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou dear Stephanie. That's a real compliment coming from your! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  3. Very pretty, Mimi. You are certainly very creative as I have said before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is beautiful! I am doing something similar but haven't posted it yet. I need more hoops to finish. I have some leftover scrap material, I just may have to do a dream catcher too!

    Loving yours right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine. Honestly, it was so simple in the end. I am very happy with mine and I bet you'll love yours too. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  5. I am not a huge fan of dream catchers...but this one is just lovely!!! It caught my eye on the link up at Strangers and Pilgrims and I had to come and see how you made it! :) You did a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Katy, I'm flattered to have caught your eye...or well that my Dreamcatcher did, anyway...lol! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  6. I love dreamcatchers too and the first one I got was from my brother in Alaska way back in the 80's. They were very popular then and seem to be making a huge comeback. I love your tutorial because it seems so easy. I have most of the supplies needed, so why not make one?! Perfect gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi AnnMarie, yes it's funny. Everything old is new again. I love the Shabby Chic interpretations so I modelled mine on those. I hope you'll give it a try! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  7. I love the dreamcatcher and you make it looks so easy. Don't know if I can make flowers, but I really think I could make the dreamcatcher. My sister-in-law would love this as a Christmas present. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Carol, the rosettes are dead easy. I'll be sharing a tutorial this week. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  8. Pretty. Great tutorial. I linked at The Art Of Homemaking today too. I hope you can come by for a visit! Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I'll be sure to come and visit you. Thanks for the lovely comment. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  9. Yes I will definitely be trying these, they look gorgeous!

    Thank you Mimi,
    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll share photos on your blog Tania! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  10. love this dream catcher! great tute :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl. It's lovely to meet you. Thanks for the sweet comment. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  12. LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS, just stunning I can not wait to do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tealady, I'm thrilled to have inspired you! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  13. your dreamcatcher is beautiful, you did a great job!

    If you have time, I would love for you to come and share this post over at the Really Crafty link party that is live right now! (http://keepingitrreal.blogspot.com.es/2016/06/welcome-to-really-crafty-link-party-25.html).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for the invitation Teresa! I've shared and added you to my list of linkys. Mimi xxx

      Delete
    2. Thank you for linking up! Pinned!

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Thankyou Sandi. You are so sweet. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  15. Your dream catcher is just soooo pretty, Mimi! Wouldn't this be a great project for my granddaughters? Thanks for the tutorial. Aren't blog friends the best??!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kitty! Yes blogging friends are wonderful! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  16. I love your dream catcher, it is beautiful, well done!!! It is a perfect post o share on the #OMHGWW this week, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Karren! That's high praise coming from you! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  17. Dear Mimi, Yours are so much better than the ones I saw in the boutique of fine things! And as I told you those were $149. I am totally inspired! Not to collect things but I have heaps of floaty laces and ribbon and some lace doilies... with love Annabel.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so pretty and it would look great in my bedroom! 😉

    ReplyDelete
  19. You created something really pretty Mimi and I love the soft colors. Thanks for sharing and linking.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww...I love how this turned out! :)

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for Crafts, Recipes, and Tips and Tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, so pretty! I love these - thank you for sharing! xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ohhhh I so love this, Mimi! Wish I could make one! So gypsy, and boho and me! ;) Love, love it!

    Thank you for sharing the instructions on how to make it....

    Cielo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness, this is gorgeous!
    You are so talented and thanks so much for sharing it with us.
    Now, I want to make one.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mimi I love your dream catcher. I want one just like it. Thank you for sharing at SYC! xx Jo

    ReplyDelete
  25. My daughter would LOVE this...I think I'm going to make one for her dorm room. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your dreamcatcher looks awesome Mini, so intricate and delicate but yet beautiful. One of my best friends at work got married a couple of years ago and we helped her make hundreds of dreamcatchers during our lunchbreak at work so she could decorate her wedding venue. It looked really pretty.

    Sally @ Life Loving
    #LifeLovingLinkie

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh I love this and the tutorial for making them ! They would be wonderful gifts indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love it Mimi! My youngest daughter is a gypsy at heart and has a collection in her room. She had made some and bought some. Can't wait to show her yours! I know that my granddaughters would love it as well. May have to have a fun day with the grands. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just lovely! I weaved one that was a sunset Mimi where did you find the little bottles for your edible glitter. What size are they? I am going to make baking basket for gifts And want to include the edible glitter. Thank you! Patti

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Mimi

    These are just gorgeous. I recently saw some of these whilst on holidays and they were very expensive...ranging from $75 to $150 and I think that yours are much nicer than the mass produced ones. Truly one of a kind.

    Love Aly (sorry it has been a while) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. The most lovely, feminine, and beautiful dream catcher !!
    Greetings Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful. My girls and I are into dream catchers too and have made several over the years. Yours turned out great and I love the added roses.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Mimi, you never fail to impress me with your wonderful tutorials! Your dream catcher is romantically beautiful. Thank you for sharing it at Simply Neutrals :) xx hugs

    ReplyDelete
  34. Very pretty and can't wait to try one. I make traditional dream catchers and there is a reason for the hole in teh middle. it is for bad dreams (nightmares) to flow through and drop down the "feathers" at the bottom so as to dissipate in the dawn. I want to try this version but will be looking for doilies with holes in the middle. Just the native in me I guess.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx