Friday, June 10, 2016

A Homespun Year...Passionfuit spread...a divine treat...


Food is important to all of us.

Every milestone in our lives entails the consumption of food of some sort.

If you're like me, it's not just the nutritional value that's important, but also the memory that many foods carry with them.

Passionfruit curd, also known as Passionfruit Butter, Passionfruit Cheese and Passionfruit Spread, is something my Mum used to make.

Back in the day when every home had a backyard passionfruit vine, often groaning with glossy orbs that the crows would peck, it was criminal not to find a use for them. Of course we would eat them au naturel, slurping the flesh straight from the cup of the fruit, but eating Mums Passionfruit Curd was a special sort of treat.

The creamy sweet and tangy butteriness of curd belies it's simple ingredients. For a large family, scones or tarts filled with Passionfruit Curd was an inexpensive treat that tasted lavish and extravagant.

These days, I enjoy my Passionfruit Curd on gluten free toast in the morning served on a Limoges saucer gifted to me with a teacup for a significant birthday.

A super luxurious start to my day for mere cents.

Here's how you make it:

Makes about 750gms (1 1/2lbs) or three small jars worth.

Into a large microwave safe jug, place the following ingredients...

Pulp of 10-15 passionfruit
125gms caster sugar
125gms unsalted butter

In a separate jug....

Beat 4 large eggs until well combined

Then just...

Microwave the pulp mixture on HIGH for about 3 minutes, stirring every 60 seconds, just until the butter melts and is incorporated.

Remove from the microwave and whisk the egg in, drizzling it into the passionfruit mixture in a steady, fine stream.

Microwave on HIGH for two 30 second blasts, whisking well between each.

Finally, microwave on HIGH for one minute, and whisk well until thick and smooth.

Pour in to clean sterilised jars and refrigerate.

Done!

This keeps well, refrigerated for at least six months.

Use the curd to fill Tarts, Meringues, Pavlova, Swiss Rolls, Jam Drops, Victoria Sponge, or just enjoy as I do on your morning toast.

You'll feel very spoilt, I promise.

Also a fab addition to your foodie gift hampers.

Whenever I make this, and especially when I take that first mouthful, I feel my Mum standing next to me in her humble apron, nodding and smiling. It's a special moment.
 
....Mimi...

28 comments:

  1. Oh Mimi, I am literally salivating here! I miss all things passion fruit. That wonderful sweet but tangy flavor is like no other. We used to have vines growing near our home in Hawaii and my Grandma would make lilikoi (passion fruit) meringue pie with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yum Debbie! That would be divine! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  2. I've done this, Mimi - now sadly the passionfruit vine has outlived it's fruiting life - must plant another one. I love passionfruit curd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blast and damnation! Yes I'd be planting another! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  3. Dearest Mimi
    you truly won my heart withthis so dreamy cake, thank you for sharing its recipe !

    Thank you for this so enthralling post, sweet friend, sending blessings of joy on your weekend ahead,
    with utmost gratitude

    Dany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou sweet Daniela. You always say the loveliest things. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  4. Yay, we have passionflower growing on our back fence! I am trying to collect recipes with them as so far I have just done medicinal projects. Thank you for sharing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love this Jes. I promise! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  5. I don't think I have ever had the pleasure of tasting Passionfruit, Mimi. A friend gave me some seed from some that grew wild on his property and he said they grow well down here in South Carolina. Not one vine came up in my yard, I am sad to say. I think I will try to find some more seeds and give it another go. Your Passionfruit spread looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it should grow well there Lynn. You have a very similar climate to us in Queensland, Australia. I hope they're a success for you. They're a delectable fruit. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  6. Passion fruit was one of my favorites when I lived in Hawaii as a girl. I haven't had it since...Oh how I would love some right now! Your recipe looks and sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing at Dishing It & Digging It!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, the scent of warm passionfruit is such a happy thing, isn't it. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  7. I haven't tried passionfruit yet, thanks for the inspiration and recipe. Thanks for linking up to Merry Monday! Pinned! Have a great week!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's a delicious thing Kim! Thanks for the visit. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  8. I have never eaten passion fruit but often wondered what it tasted like. Your fruity butter looks good on your toast. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forget that it's not indigenous in many parts of the world Sandi. You would love it I think. Sponge cake with whipped cream and passionfruit is a happy childhood memory here. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  9. Wow! This sounds SO delicious! YUMMY!

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for Recipes and Crafts: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mimi: It all looks so good. Thanks for linking to Tea Cup Tuesday. Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Martha. It's a pleasure to have something to link with you. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  11. Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Sherry. A real compliment coming from you! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  12. Dear Mimi:
    Now here is something unique to try! Thanks for sharing and linking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bernideen, I have a feeling it's something you would LOVE. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  13. This looks so good. Thanks for sharing at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
    Enjoy the weekend.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Julie. I hope you have a happy weekend too. Mimi xxx

      Delete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx