Saturday, April 14, 2012

Thinking laterally...


I remember when 'thinking laterally' was a new thing.

Wikipedia describes it as follows...
Lateral thinking is solving problems through an indirect and creative approach, using reasoning that is not immediately obvious and involving ideas that may not be obtainable by using only traditional step-by-step logic.

To me, it's always meant coming up with solutions to the unsolveable, and creating new ideas to solve the impossible.

I've always been a lateral thinker. I never give up, and never give in. I never admit defeat, and if I've tried everything, well I'll try one more thing that I thought I didn't know to try.

I just don't accept 'no' for an answer...ask my hubby...lol!

That's how I have dealt with all the challenges that life has thrown me to this point, including an unhappy marriage, a severely disabled child who now, due to lateral thinking, lives entirely independently, a career interruption on a grand scale due to the birth of my disabled child, and others too numerous to mention, as the saying goes.

I've always accepted too, that change comes from within, only I can make me happy, and if I'm not happy with something, then I am the only one who can change things.

Strangely, my siblings do not all reflect this attitude. Of seven, perhaps three of us think this way, whilst the other four are defeatist and negative. We all had the same upbringing...what happened?

Is this another nature vs nurture argument or is there a 'coping gene' that some get and some don't.

It's an interesting thought.

And on a more practical level...ya gotta love an upside down bookcase coverted to a wall planter...wish I'd thought of that one!

1 comment:

  1. You're back in blog land I see! Woohoo and yipee, oh how I have missed your posts!

    "I've always been a lateral thinker. I never give up, and never give in. I never admit defeat, and if I've tried everything, well I'll try one more thing that I thought I didn't know to try."

    The above paragraph you wrote about yourself I could have easily written about myself. Perhaps that is part of the reason you and I just clicked from the start :]

    My thinking like this both delights and annoys the bejesus out of my lil family who give up much quicker than I would. With me it has always been where there is a will there is a way, my motto since a small girl.

    I love the way you think ;]

    Hugs


    Kimmie
    x

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx