Monday, April 24, 2017

Motherly Advice....try something new...

 
I've never really been involved with our local Winter (or Spring) Racing Carnival, but it's a huge event in our city. Alas I've been too busy being a Baseball Mum, a Basketball Mum, a Wheelchair Boccia Mum, and a Dance Mum. Where does one fit in time to be fashionably attired for the Races amongst all that lot?
 
The Fashionistas go ga-ga trying to outdo one another for staggering prize pools and public worship at these events though, and it's all enormous fun and frivolity.
 
My friend Flora Fascinata, Milliner, Cook Extraordinaire and all round gorgeous person, recently invited my Diva child, she of the red hair, and never ending limbs, to model some of her frippery for the Hoi Polloi ahead of the aforementioned Racing calendar.
 
Well, not being one to turn down an opportunity to have a captive audience, the Diva said yes, and so did I, seeing it as a second only opportunity, to wear my own Flora assisted Fleur, fashioned some two years ago at a Flora Fascinata make-your-own-fleur workshop.
 
Now much as I love my baby pink Fleur headpiece, wearing it to the local shops is not an option. People point and stare, and whilst I'm all for fabulosity in all forms, that's probably not my modus operandi. I prefer something a little more low key. Basic black with red toenails. That kind of thing.
 
So attired appropriately, both of us in black, and with my Flora Fascinata-MimiFrimi headpiece attached securely, off we went.
 
The high tea was to-die-for....

 
The fashion, outstanding...
 
 
The lady above has amassed $200,000 worth of prizes for her Fashions on the Field efforts...whaaat?

  
This lady with her very Carmen Miranda style ensemble won me. LOVE the turban!
 
 
And this dear man just about outdid the ladies with his red jacket, gold fleur pin, and burgundy Homburg Hat.
 
Of course, the highlight was seeing my lovely daughter, looking her most glamorous yet. I think she's made for hats. Don't you?

 
And the obligatory selfie with Proud Mama. Patiently tolerated.
 
 
Now I admit that I was somewhat nervous about this event. It was something new for me. I fretted about a dress, and ordered one online, which then failed to arrive in time. I fretted about my naturally grey, naturally curly hair. I fretted about my weight, my legs, my shoes, my bag, my makeup, what I'd say if someone asked me the usual 'so what do you do?' kinda question. Which incidentally, they didn't.
 
 I lost sleep over it.
 
And guess what?
 
Whilst the Fashionistas were out in force, at least half of the crowd were lovely normal folk like me. Most did not even have a Flora-assisted-Fleur to wear. Most were there for the High Tea and a looky-see. Just like me.
 
In the end my Little Black Dress and Italian heels looked just glam enough. My makeup was fine, my curls were admired, grey or not, nobody thought I was fat except me, sheer stockings covered any perceived faults with my 57 year old legs, I found my silver bag underneath my car seat, and I laughed at the idea that I'd lost sleep over having such a fun afternoon. Very fashionable folk spoke nicely to me, even wanted to sit near me. They looked incredible and untouchable, but you know...they weren't. They were just lovely people, who adore dressing up, and hanging out with other folk who adore dressing up. Me? I loved seeing people who had gone beyond 'making an effort', and who had embraced being daring, and glamorous, and divinely chic. More of that please.
 
My advice?
 
Don't miss out on life because you think you're not good enough, pretty enough, thin enough, funny enough, fashionable, or accomplished enough. Don't miss out on a fun day because you think you don't have the right thing to wear, or say, or because someone might *shock horror* SPEAK to you. Grasp every opportunity to have a new experience, and run with it. Life is so very short. I know that as someone who at 57 years of age, feels the pressure of making the most of every day, every year, every moment.
 
Dress up, be crazy, be glamorous, wear the heels even if they make your feet hurt. I sat down in mine for two hours, so it didn't matter in the end. Go to the High Tea, talk to strangers, smile mysteriously and pretend you don't speak English if that's beyond you....lol.
 
And my daughter?
 
My daughter was impeccable. She looked like something out of a Film Noir. She made me so very proud. If you haven't seen the photos yet, then you just weren't paying attention, because I swear I shared them EVERYWHERE...lol!
 
 
I cannot believe that I almost didn't go. I almost surrendered my ticket to someone who wanted to be there for very different reasons to mine. In fact, I offered, but was thankfully, rejected. I wouldn't have missed it for the world. I can't wait for the next one. And yes, I'll be at the Winter Racing Carnival. Perhaps with a fetching new Flora designed bit of Frippery on my grey curls.
 
Do it. Don't wait. Life is short.
 
...Mimi...

33 comments:

  1. I think I will take your advice on board Mimi. You look great in those photos. Your daughter looks very 'golden age Hollywood' - very classy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sherri. Thankyou so much. We were certainly aiming for classy! And yes. My Diva child is all grown up and very Olde Worlde Glamour, isn't she? Mimi xxx

      Delete
  2. I want a daughter. Whaaa! lol

    Your post reminds me of a Dr Seuss quote
    'If you never did, you should. These things are fun, and fun is good.'

    You and your daughter looked stunning.

    Janiebabe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Janiebabe. Yes, fun is indeed 'good'. And thankyou. My baby is a looker, right? Mimi xxx

      Delete
  3. Mimi - you look gorgeous and so does The Diva. She's all grown up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ronnie, she IS all grown up now! It frightens me sometimes. She'll have her Drivers License in a few short weeks. How time flies! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  4. You looked wonderful, and the girl child is a stunner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Allegra. I'll pass that compliment on to her. She'll be thrilled. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  5. You looked beautiful and your daughter is amazing!! Sounds like a fun time. I've been invited to my first ever tea party tomorrow night. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Penpen. It sure was a fun time. I hope your tea party was as enjoyable as ours! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  6. You and your daughter both look adorable. Love those hats. That pic is so pretty and your daughter looks so chic with the red and black and you have
    a very feminine chic with your floral hat. I have always loved seeing Kate
    Middleton and the royals wearing those darling lil hats....so fun to see.
    Bet it was quite a fun party. The food looks fabulous as well. Good for you.
    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nellie, I must say, I'm almost a convert to the whole idea of fancy hats every day. It was all so glamorous and a real feast for the eyes. It was so wonderful to see everyone really dressed up. We have so few occasions these days to go 'all out'. Hope you are well my lovely. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  7. Miss Mimi you are beautiful inside and out. The Diva looked as all Diva's should, simply divine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post, Mimi!
    The joy, excitement, proudness... I can feel it!
    I am so pleased you both had a great time xx Fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was all of that Fiona. I am SO pleased I decided to ignore my inner turmoil, and go. It was a real lesson. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  9. You both look gorgeous. Lisa xo your daughter and her red hair are stunning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, her hair is a bit of a show stopper ;-) Mimi xxx

      Delete
  10. Mimi, that baby pink flower is absolutely beautiful! Those tartlets looked good, too!!
    You made sense of the whole show with your beautiful, down to earth style! That's what I like!!
    Rachel Holt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rachel, thankyou! I'm glad you like my hand made fleur. It was so fun to make, and not really difficult at all. Of course my friend Flora, gave it her special touch as a favour, but mostly, the work is mine. I'm really proud of it! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  11. Mimi, You and your Daughter look divine!
    What a fun day you had.

    I have put your advice to work in my life already, I rode in a hot air balloon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness Laurie! Congratulations! Now, that's something I have no desire to do whatsoever. I take my hat off (figuratively speaking) to you! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  12. You look great in that black dress and heels. I can't wear black next to my face as it makes me look dead! I am a summer and love pastels. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my word, Mrs. Mimi. Your daughter is stunning. And she definitely gets that from you. Lovely!

    xoxo,
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou sweet Melinda. You are such a gorgeous thing. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  14. Mimi, both you and the Diva look beautiful. I am so glad you went and had a good time, aren't you the one who is trying to get us to use what we have to our best advantage, and you certainly did that.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Margaret, thankyou for your lovely compliment. I'm glad I went too. It was a real lesson for me. I get so used to being a homebody, and I actually really enjoyed getting all dolled up and swanning around with other folk who were all dolled up as well. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  15. Wow, what a fun day! You are right, we never know how something will turn out unless we give it a shot!
    And boy oh boy are you two gorgeous! That black and white photo of your daughter is so old Hollywood glam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Sarah. And thankyou! My girl is a bit of glam, isn't she! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  16. This looks like so much fun, Mimi and that high tea. Big sigh.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Amalia...yes, sigh, indeed! It was just lovely! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  17. So fun. Great advice...take every opportunity. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Marielle! So few reasons to dress up and play ladies these days, so why not grab those opportunities with both hands! Mimi xxx

      Delete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx