Monday, August 17, 2015

This weeks Insourcing #15....

 
I was very pleased with my insourcing this week. Who needs to go to showy designer stores and posh delicatessens for the good things in life. Not me....no, no, no. And you don't have to either. Don't pay someone else to make your life special, when you can do it yourself!
 
I used my stash of butchers paper to make gift wrap for several upcoming events. Butchers paper, a thick Nikko pen, and big loopy handwriting is so effective for any occasion, and just looks so classy...add some neutral double satin ribbon and a hand glittered card for something extra special..
 

 
When you consider that gift wrap and a beautiful card can be $5 to $30 on it's own, factoring in wrap, ribbon, gift topper, and card, that's a considerable saving! This weekend alone, that saved me about $50! Butchers paper is purchased by weight from party supply warehouses. Mine was about $30 for a stack 15cms thick, and I've been using for two years and it's still going strong. This saves me literally hundreds over a year of gifting, so I'm going to call that saving on future purchases, $100. I'm sure it's more than that, but that will do. All up $150 that I've saved myself there.

 
I sourced two gifts of body wash, shower pouffe`, and rose and lavender potpourri from my stairwell stash...

 
...and slid those inside blank brown paper gift bags, tied with wide lace and embellished with a diamante buckle...saving on bought gifts....possibly $60 or more, but lets call it $60.

 
I made a gluten free crepe stack 'cake' for my girlfriends for an afternoon tea. Crepe stack cakes are brilliant when you don't feel like cake but want something yum to serve to friends. This one was layered with fresh lemon juice and caster sugar, had double cream on the side, and was served with both tea and champagne. The girls loved it muchly. I've also done these layered with jam and cream, nutella, cinnamon and honey greek yoghurt, or banana and drizzled honey with ricotta cheese. They're always a hit, and make something simple, a little more posh. Saving on high tea in the city....gosh....$150 I think!

 
I made some many-fruit jam from the odds and ends of the fruit bowl. Just equal parts (by weight) of fruit and sugar. So yum. This gave me two more gifts, wrapped in boxes, and packed with home made miniature pastry cases and tinned whipped cream (I know...rotten stuff...but Weight Watchers says it's okay, so that's good enough for me and easier to gift than normal cream!!) for my girlfriends to take home to make their 'own' fresh jam tarts to impress their families. Saving on deli made treats for the girls to take home...another $60.
 
The Musician Husband and I ate at home on a rare Saturday night alone, and saved $200 on a proposed excursion to the Gold Class cinema. We bought some movies instead and enjoyed them in our cozy home, feet up, glass of wine close by. Saving after movies and wine were purchased...$100.
 
I replenished my herb garden. I use an astounding amount of basil and coriander and if I had to keep buying it, I'd be looking at $25 a week in herbs alone. My herb pots save me enormously, every single week. Saving this week $15.
 
So this weeks efforts have realistically saved me shelling out $535 to somebody else, to do what I am very capable of doing myself.
 
What did you do this week that kept money in your pocket?
 
 .Mimi...

13 comments:

  1. Hi Mimi, wow you really saved a lot of money and I love all of these great tips for gift wrapping, cake and jam! I have a new link party that I co-host on Monday's that I'd love to have you visit and share your projects.
    Thanks.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mimi, is butcher's paper anything like the rolls of plain paper you can get from your local newspaper office? I used to buy a big roll for the kids for $5 which lasted for years. I wonder if it is much the same as what you used or perhaps a bit thinnner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's pretty much the same thing, but it's incredibly inexpensive bought by weight. I think the $5 is still good value though. It is thinner, but the sheets are so huge, it doesn't matter as I double them over. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  3. What beautiful ideas you have Mimi! I love the buckle with lace. I will "borrow" that idea from you! the ideas for butcher paper are fabulous too. I will have to see what is available. We do have a party supply store locally that I will check. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they appeal to you Kaye. Annabel is a huge inspiration in this area too :) Mimi xxx

      Delete
  4. I just love that gift wrap! I loved everything actually.
    My herbs growing at the backdoor save some kind of fortune plus give me gifts. I will be planting my basil in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Annabel. That's high praise from you. Yes the herbs are awesome too! I just saw herbs in terrariums at a flash nursery. I don't know how well they'd grow, but it was a lovely way to present them. The terrariums you did a while ago are very on-trend! Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  5. Glad you got to stay home along with the husband-those kind of nights are fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more Darrielle! Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  6. Great ideas! Will have to get some butchers paper to have on hand for gift wrap. Your gifts for your friends would have went down a treat with there families,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie the DIY half done jam tarts really did go down a treat. You'd be amazed (or maybe you wouldn't!) how starved everyone is for the old fashioned treats. The pastry cases took literally 15 minutes and the jam was already done, and the BFF's (Best Friends Forever) couldn't believe that I had made them something to take home as well as feeding them here. Ahhh...I can afford to do that when it's me doing the catering! Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  7. Mimi, what a clever gal you are! I love the idea of making your own gift wrap. I will not dish out that price for cards either. I either make them or buy them at the $1 store. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx