Sunday, August 23, 2015

My take on the DIY Morrocan Wedding Blanket....

 
Have you seen these gorgeous Moroccan Wedding Blankets?
 
I've loved them since forever. Now, of course they're all over Pinterest and eBay, and never available for much less than $600. Okay, so I love them, but not enough to spend $600 on one. I'd rather a nice pair of shoes or two...lol!
 
So I fished out this IKEA blanket that I've had for years. It's sort of a Berber look thing anyway, and completely plain except for that self check in the fabric.
 
Having seen Annabels beautiful crocheted Faux Moroccan blanket over at The Bluebirds are Nesting, I just knew I could produce something that was close. Unfortunately I do not have the patience or Annabels skill, so crochet was out of the question. Or a least a whole crocheted blanket was!
 
I finally decided that the Blanket above at the top of my post, and the one at the bottom of this post, were my favourites. I love the slim shaggy trim, interspersed with lots of sequins, over some of the other variations I've seen, so here I am.
 
Now the shaggy trim, I decided I would crochet, having sourced some of that shaggy yarn for a scarf project for The Diva. I chose a soft, cream-bordering-on-ballet-pink. You know me. I'm mad for pink. Especially that pink of satin ballet shoes.
 
Then I simply crocheted one long strand of chain, and then crocheted double chain into that, to form the fringe. This I am stitching in rows, across my blanket. I decided that looked better on my bed, than the usual horizontal rows on proper Moroccan Wedding Blankets.
 
I then chose a range of pastel sequins, some round ballet pink ones, larger round mother of pearl ones, oval shaped lavender ones and some crystals, and these I am laboriously stitching to my blanket one by one. It's tedious, but I set myself a target once a week and spend an hour or so on it. I can't do any more than that as the blanket is so huge, it has to stay on the bed, and I have to stand over it, or kneel on the floor to stitch each individual sequin.
 
I'm really happy with the way it's coming along though, and it's looking very much how I intended. I want it much more heavily sequinned than this though, so it's going to be a labour of love over several months if not a year, I think.


As you can see by this bottom picture, I have a long way to go!
 
I think it will be a project of which I'll be very proud in the end though.

 
It's not usually in my nature to persevere with large projects, but I love the idea of this blanket here, so much, that I think I can do it this time. It's amazing what you can do when you set your mind to it!
 
It also goes to show that in creating something unique, it pays to build upon your existing skills. Annabels blanket is crocheted with lavish trims. Mine is embellishing an existing blanket with thousands of hand applied sequins and crocheted shaggy fringe.
 
Here are some other ways you could recreate your own Moroccan Wedding Blanket:
 
Made a bed scarf out of sequinned and beaded tulle and lay it across a simple neutral bed cover.
 
Change it up and add lace, frills, ribbon or braid as you preferences dictate. Don't get locked in to what you think it 'should' be.
 
Use an ivory coloured sheet as a base cover, and layer it with an Antique lace bedspread or tablecloth, and some sequinned scatter cushions for a similar look without all the hard work.
 
Applique` vintage doilies and upholsterers fringe across a cream vintage blanket.
 
To preserve the 'wedding' idea, make a coverlet from recycled wedding dresses. The thrift stores have these for ridiculous prices and it's the best way to get lots of gorgeous fabric for a project as big as this. Re-use any lace, beaded trim, or brocade, in the embellishing of your blanket.
 
And accept, that this will NOT be an overnight project!
 
What have you spent, months or perhaps years on to finish?
 
...Mimi...

28 comments:

  1. Well mine is NO.THING like your beautiful piece, Mimi dear... But it was a counted cross stitch piece I started, then put away, then finished years later. Since it's a seasonal piece, it won't be oooh-ed or aaah-ed over like your beautiful Moroccan Wedding Blanket.

    In a concluding word: stunning.

    *hugs*
    Kelley~
    Letters Unfolded

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kelley dear. Thankyou. I cross stitched once or twice when I was younger, but the long term interest in that sort of detail, was beyond me... and it didn't have sequins...lol...lol! I bet yours is gorgeous! Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  2. Mimi, that will look stunning when it is finished. You certainly do love your sequins don't you? :-) Well, I am taking ages to make a raggedy quilt for my baby grandson because I am procrastinating. Hopefully it will be finished before he starts school. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Nanna Chel, and yes, life here is not right without a sprinkle of sequins :) Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  3. Dear Mimi, I have only ever seen them for around $2000 at least so this is one motivator and was for me! Chloe also only mentioned today how she loves here!
    It will look great. I found it surprising how much I had to add to get it rich and thick enough. But I got it done! I did rows of sequins, rows of silver braid, rows of fluff... tassels in the corners... oh and rows of velvet ribbon. bit of a saga!
    I hope you will show the end result. It will be gorgeous and so worth it.
    Rome wasnt built in a day... it took me good few months solid.
    But its an heirloom I figure!
    I hope you had a lovely weekend and have a great week! With love, Annabel.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annabel, I tried to find your post with the one you made Chloe, but I couldn't and I think I've linked it wrong. If you can let me know, I can put the correct link in, because it is just stunning. Yes, it will be worth it, I know, but lots of work! I actually think keeping it on the bed as I bead it, is a good thing. It's there in front of me all the time, and not only can I see the progress, but if I have fifteen minutes, I can just do a few and that's just one step closer. I have some tassels too, but they're more gold-ish, and I'm not sure I'm going to use them. I think it's a thing that sort of morphs over time really. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  4. What an amazing creation, Mimi! It's going to be stunningly gorgeous when it's finished. If it were mine, is be thinking it's much too beautiful to use...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Carol. I guess there will come a time when it needs laundering, and I haven't even thought of how that will be accomplished. That is the only down side I see to using something so pretty. Why hide our lovely things away? Love Mimi xxx

      Delete
  5. Hmm Mimi you have given me some ideas!

    I recently bought a queen size homemade patchwork quilt from an op shop It is made of white satin, lace etc. It is very pretty, but I think I could jazz it up somewhat after reading this post.

    Thank you Mimi, you are a genius!!

    Lots of love
    Tania xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased to have inspired you Tania! Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  6. Oh my, you are quite the woman to tackle something like this, dear Mimi! I applaud you, my friend :) The blanket is truly stunning and like Carol said, it's almost too pretty to use.

    Love and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Stephanie. I think all families need an heirloom treasure to hand down. Hopefully this will be one when the time comes. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  7. The blanket will be stunning when it is finished as is Annabels. They are a lot of work but so worth it for the finished product.
    Have a great week Mimi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These things are a lot of work, but it just goes to show that you can capitalise on what you're good at. I'd love to be able to crochet as well as Annabel does (she can crochet without looking at her work....whhhhaaaat???), but alas that skill eludes me. Sewing sequins is slow, but ultimately for me, very rewarding, so sequins it is :) Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  8. Wow, what an amazing blanket! That is alot of work!!! I bet you are still dreaming of sewing on all of those sequins:) Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and for your kind comments on my glittered tags. I will be sure to join your next linky party, thanks for the invite!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Donna! I'll be thrilled to have you at Five Star Frugal. Your crafts are so pretty. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  9. Wow, Mimi, this is quite a project, but it is coming along beautifully. I think you are right
    you are gonna really love it when it is finished, and need to take a bow when you do....lol
    You will be very proud of yourself, and we will be proud of you too.. Now I want to know.... are you counting sequins in your dreams??
    Happy Sequin sewing sweetie,
    Blessings, and may your wedding blanket give you many years of happines and cozy
    comfort, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Nellie! And yes, counting sequins in my sleep, one lavender, one blush, one pearl, one lavender.....zzzzzzzz....lol! Love Mimi xxx

      Delete
  10. Hi Mimi, I love this blanket that you are working on and it is going to be really beautiful when finished. Good luck with this process and project of yours.
    I'm so happy to see you at our Cooking and Crafting with J & J and thanks for sharing this.
    Enjoy your Wednesday and week.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie I'm looking forward to the day when I can share it completed! Thanks for having me at the linkup. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  11. Hi Mimi what a fabulous job you are doing and it will be such a lovely item to have as a family heirloom. Thank you for sharing with us at #AnythingGoes and also I love your header photos on your website. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. We are fellow Brisbaneites apparently! Glad you like my header. All my own work :) Mimi xxx

      Delete
  12. Your blanket looks amazing! Even though the sequins are a lot of work, it is definitely worth it. I don't think that I have ever seen one like it but I think I love it!

    ~Trisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Trisha. I'm happy with it so far. Fingers crossed I'll still love it when I'm done! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  13. Oh wow...this is such a neat idea.

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait to see the finished product. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I think it's a matter of finding projects you adore, and then completing them is not a chore. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx