Friday, August 28, 2015

Textile Collage Art.....hearts....


I saw Karen Valentines Textile Art Heart Necklaces on her beautiful blog **My Desert Cottage**
back in March this year. I immediately bought her tutorial, and then got busy with dance costumes for The Divas school dance troupe, and forgot all about making pretty hearts.

Well, with Christmas always on my mind, I knew I wanted to get started on these, so off I went.

I confess I didn't follow Karens instructions exactly (sorry Karen!).

I sort of got all over the shop with the order in which things had to be done, and ended up using the front of the heart as a sort of 3D canvas, adding layers until I was happy, then hand stitching the back of the heart to the front, encasing the stuffing as I went.

I think Karen would forgive me.


 As you can see, mine is very different to Karens' interpretation, but isn't that the beauty of these sorts of projects? You truly can inject a little of yourself into them, and use what you have.
This animal print silk is a tiny scrap leftover from some tribal bustles I've made for The Dancing Daughters current school troupe performance coming up in just two weeks. I know right...who even knew there was such a thing as a tribal bustle. But Google it. You'll be amazed!
I also had some muslin, which I use for making hand dyed facecloths in pretty gelati colours, some header tape leftover also from costumes, and of course thrifted vintage lace and bows, and sequins and tassels galore.
I stayed true to Karen's 'Be Fabulous' theme though, because it's one I love.
I envisage these as necklaces, brooches, pomanders with lavender stitched into them, doorknob hangers, keyrings, bagtags, and of course, Christmas ornaments.
I'm itching to get started on more now!


The link to Karens tutorial can be found by clicking on this link...


I predict these darling little pretties will save me hundreds on gifts this year.

What do you think?

...Mimi...

25 comments:

  1. Ohhhh I LOVE it Mimi! Totally fabulous!!

    Oh my, what a lovely looking webpage Karen has, I need more time, I need more time! Will go there later for a better look :)

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania...yes Karens blog is divine, isn't it? Mimi xxx

      Delete
  2. Simply darling, my friend! Indeed, be fabulous! {{smiles}} Have a lovely weekend, Mimi. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Stephanie...hugs to you too...xxx

      Delete
  3. OH OH OH These are absolutely gorgeous, Mimi! You have once again left me drooling all over the computer keys. :)
    These will certainly make beautiful Christmas gifts ~ should I send you my address? :)
    When I have more time I must come back and take a peek at Karen's site.

    Have a beautiful day!
    Joy to you! Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie I'm so glad you LIKE! And I'd love to gift you one...I'll be in touch...Mimi xxx

      Delete
  4. Hi Mimi,
    Your lil heart is sweet yet sophisticated all at the same time............
    Very cute and will make lovely Christmas gifts for sure. Have to check out
    Karen's blog now. Have fun making those hearts.....ah hearts made with love,
    a nice gift indeed. Hope you have a nice weekend girly.
    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nellie dear....you can look out for one in your mailbox soon...Mimi xxx

      Delete
  5. You are so talented, these are beautiful! I would love to receive one!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie, I'd love to send you one too....I'll contact you. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  6. Hi Mimi, wow you have created such a pretty heart and they will make great gifts for the holidays. TFS.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd like them too Julie. My pleasure, and thanks for inviting me to your linkup. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  7. Not only are these hearts beautiful, but I'm amazed at your organizational talents getting gifts done this early! I'm more of a December 23rd kinda gal ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Doreen...that used to be me too once upon a time. I learned the hard way to be better prepared...Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  8. This turned our great! Love it!

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi sweet Mimi! I'm so glad you shared your beautiful heart with Roses of Inspiration :) Blessings to you, dear one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou dear Stephanie. I love your visits and comments. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  10. Lovely! I have been trying to make brooch and necklace sized hearts and have not perfected them yet. Yours is simply perfect! Visiting from Roses Of Inspiration.
    Linda
    mysewwhatblog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda...hopping on over now to visit you! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  11. Hi Mimi! Beautiful creation! So pretty and feminine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Mimi!! This piece is just stunning! What beautiful work you do...so delicate and lovely. Cheers, Catherine (Latest follower of your blogging adventures!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Catherine. Heading over to you to say hi right now! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  13. 'Seriously cool! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx