Monday, August 31, 2015

50 & Fabulous....my hands....



 
These are my hands.
 
My mothers antique ring worn proudly on my right hand ring finger, as it is, each and every day.
 
My hands...are not young any more. Their joints ache sometimes. The skin is not smooth and blemish free any longer.
 
But they can still cradle the head of the second born daughter of my first born son, with love and care...
 
...and bake and ice and decorate a giant cupcake for her...

 
....following it with an Owl cake for a special birthday.

 
My hands can display my daughters worn pointe shoes with pride...

 
...and spend time with her, making heirloom treasures for our Christmas tree, so that when I am gone from this Earthly existence, she can show them to her own children and say 'I made these with Nanna when I was your age..'

 
My hands can take the place of my Mothers, in keeping to our family tradition of making our own wedding cakes, and even though I cannot hope to emulate her skill, my brother loves that I've stepped in to be "Mother" on his special day....

 
And they can apply gold leaf to a spray of faux orchids, to gift to a special friend....

 
...bringing a smile to a face worn with cares....

 
They can stroke the hand of a troubled family member and help to carry the burden of their sorrows when they become overwhelming.
 
They can pet the gentle, elegant head of my little whippet whilst he stares meaningfully into my eyes, soothing us both.
 
My husband says he married me for my beautiful hands. I massage moisturiser into them several times a day lest he lose interest :-)
 
My preferred hand cream is L'Occitane. I adore the little metal tubes that are a sensory delight in themselves.
 
What's yours?
 
...Mimi...

28 comments:

  1. A lovely post, Mimi. Hmmm, hand cream? I have so many tubes that I get given for birthdays that I just grab whatever is nearest. I have given up on my hands after being out in the garden so much as they even get dirty when I have gloves on :-) I don't think my husband has ever noticed my hands. LOL! Yours is a keeper by the sounds of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crabtree and Evelyn Pomegranate scented hand cream 29.00 for a 100ml tube so it is not cheap. But oh my what a soul restorer let alone a hand miracle
    Julie D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds divine Julie. I must check it out when next in one of the upmarket department stores. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  3. Busy hands make a happy heart!
    All the beautiful things we can make with our hands. It is wonderful. Your creations are treasures. And heirlooms. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Annabel. That's a lovely compliment! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  4. This is such a great post! :)

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mimi, what a lovely post you shared with us today at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
    You have lovely hands and I love L'occitane hand cream too.
    Have a lovely start of the new week.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mimi, what a lovely post. You see I don't have time to think about my hands. In fact as I type now I'm looking at them, and thinking yes, Mimi is right I should try to take care of them. Is it too late? Oh well, they may not be so young but the stores they can tell ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never too late Mary! Dig out that hand cream and slather away! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  7. I don't look after my hands as I should but I have started wearing gardening gloves and occasionally I use a hand lotion. I enjoyed your post, we take our hands too for granted.
    Have a lovely day,

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Diana, and it's lovely to meet you. Yes we take our hands for granted. I was quite saddened to see a post on a high profile blog I read sometimes, that wanted to disguise ageing hands. My ageing hands are a source of great pride to me. Sometimes I think we take anti-ageing too far. Thankyou for stopping by. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  8. A Beautiful Post! You expressed this so eloquently! thank you, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment Lynn! Thankyou! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  9. Your hands are serving others in so many ways--and I sense the joy of being a mother in your words. Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Carol, how lovely to meet you. Yes, joy indeed. Thankyou. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  10. Such a lovely way of sharing the beauty of your hands, dear Mimi.

    Bless you ~ Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest Mimi, what a precious post! I don't know why, but I have tears in my eyes after reading your words....words of love and caring. You are such a precious lady and your posts always touch my heart. Thanks for sharing with Roses of Inspiration. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Stephanie! Thankyou, that is the nicest compliment ever! Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  12. at the moment rose by jurlique (gift at Christmas) but any cream almost will do - our hands work so hard. but as Stephanie said above, I too had a lump in my throat and felt like crying. Hows that? Fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou too Fiona. What a lovely thing to say. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  13. Your hands are beautiful because they show & give love - my grands are 5 & 10 so I don;t have a baby to cradle anymore and I miss it so!
    Much love, Mimi
    http://inmyprimetime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Mimi. I think we have much in common....apart from our name I mean! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  14. How neat to have a tradition of making the wedding cake! I love the first photo. Such a great post!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Carrie. Family traditions are so important, don't you think? Mimi xxx

      Delete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx