Thursday, July 20, 2017

Celebrations...Stocking the Gift Cupboard from $1 a piece...


 
If you're a smart cookie, you start thinking about Christmas in about...well...January.
 
Having lived through too many Novembers and Decembers of stressful overspending, and equally as many Januarys and Februarys of regret, I've learned the hard way to plan early.
 
And of course, Christmas is not the only time we buy gifts. There's Birthdays, Anniversaries, Christenings, and Thankyous as well.
 
So it just makes sense to get an early start as far as I am concerned.
 
Are you the crafty type?
 
If you are, then it makes sense to hit the sales whenever you can afford to. Post festivity sales, be they Christmas, Easter, St Patricks, National holidays or whatever, are THE time to buy what you need for that holiday next time round. Not the week before that holiday! Not if you're the clever type :)
 
Now this approach still requires careful planning. Don't go at it like a bull at a gate and expect to be able to use it all. Look at your strengths and where your talents lie. There is no point in buying card making supplies if you're not into card making. Nor miles and miles of festive printed wrap if, like me, you're a butchers paper and satin ribbon, or brown paper and twine kinda person. Each has it's charm, that's for sure. But stay true to self. Yes your gifts should be tailored to the recipient, but they should also be a reflection of who you are as the giver.
 
Now if that sounds like twaddle to you, let me put it to you this way. I have spent years cultivating a persona of gifting food and carefully crafted home made gifts. Those gifts include things like chocolate mud cake cubes wrapped in Easter Foil, Coconut Ice which is sort of like a coconut fudge, but in black and white and presented rather more Chanel-esque than the traditional pink and white, home made Limoncello and Onion Confit, home made jams and chutneys, French themed gifts that reflect the hobbies of the recipient, hand stitched velvet or plush cushions and throws, bottles of wine snuggled into lavish fur or frilled bottle bags, pillow cases luxuriously trimmed with lace and embroidery, and Comfort Baskets.
 
This slab of Coconut Ice, presented Chanel style, cost me about $1, and was one of my most enthusiastically received gifts ever.
 
 
This did not happen overnight. It took me about ten years to gravitate graciously away from store bought gifts, and learn how to present my home made gifts in such a way that my friends and family didn't think I was just being a cheapskate. I made some mistakes, but these days I'm pretty savvy. It's a case of practising making one thing, until you've perfected it, and then finding a way to wrap it so that it reflects you as the maker.
 
More on this idea in an upcoming post over the next few days.
 
I will provide the recipe for the Chanel-esque Coconut Ice at that time, because for today, I want to chat with you about how to source inexpensive gifts online.
 
So you're NOT crafty
 
I often hear people say that they're not very crafty, nor can they sew, cook, knit or crochet. Well I guess that's a fair comment. Although, we were all in that position at one time, and we all started somewhere, so perhaps in the long term, it's worth finding a new hobby!
 
But here's an alternative if you're really cash and time strapped, that still yields very lovely gifts for under $5.
 
Using eBay to source gifts
 
A search on eBay will yield literally thousands of potential gifts from about $1 a piece. Yeah, yeah, you knew that, right? But don't just buy 20 of the same thing for $1 each, wrap them in a bit of tinsel, and expect people to be impressed. They won't be. Put some love and thought and planning into it.
 
For example, I recently had to purchase Thank You gifts for some Mums who had helped with costume making for my daughters school. Now this can become an expensive exercise when you have 10 people involved. Even at $10 each, which doesn't get you much of a thankyou, you're spending $100. So I was looking for a way to say thanks, without relieving my wallet of $100+.
 
I'd done some research (always another good strategy) by looking in the haberdashery store for suitable stitching gifts, and had seen the cute Eiffel Tower Embroidery scissors for anything from $7-$15, depending upon who was selling them. I decided that a pair of scissors, a little pouch in which to house them, and perhaps a coin purse with a coffee gift card would be appropriate. By retail standards, that's a gift that would be priced at between $18 (a very conservative estimate) and $35.
 
I wanted to base my gifts on the antique luxury sewing kits I'd admired on Pinterest. Like this one.
 
 
And that's where eBay came to my rescue.
 
I found these very stylish zippered pouches (note the coloured holographic zippers!) for $1 each. Free postage. Seriously. And they're large enough to accommodate a smart phone too!
 
You can find them here.

 
I searched for the Eiffel Tower embroidery scissors and yep, they were there too. And they weren't $15, nor were they $7. They were just $3.39, and you could choose a colour! I chose Rose Gold. I think these are particularly lovely.
 
You can find them here.
 
 
Finally I wanted a sequinned coin purse. Well these are Dance Mums remember. We Dance Mums never say no to a sequin!
 
I sourced these at a fabulous price of just $1.29 each.
 
You can see them here.
 
 
I've since ordered some silver toned thimbles to add which I found here. No pic of those yet as they are still in transit!
 
To finish, I'm making some bead based needle threaders like this one. I was amazed at the fact that almost none of the ladies had seen a needle threader before, so I know these will be appreciated! I'm still sourcing the materials for these but in reality, I can't see them costing more than a few cents to make.
 
 
These will all be swathed in lush velvet squares (a remnant sourced for $2 will yield more than enough), and nestled inside the zippered pouches, to echo the antique sewing kit I pictured above.
 
3 steps to clever gift sourcing
 
I suggest that you use these three steps to start your clever (and frugal!) gift buying strategy.
 
1. Consider the recipient and their tastes, hobbies and passions. Note throughout the year, if someone specifically mentions an item, or lack thereof (like the needle threaders!), and see if you can find a way to source that item inexpensively and/or ingeniously.
 
2. Note the packaging of the item you want to replicate. Packaging and presentation makes a huge difference to how your gifts are received. Try to echo that idea somehow, as I have with the velvet squares to house my needle threaders.
 
3. Use online sources, discount stores and post seasonal sales, to find what you need to replicate your gift idea, always keeping a total spend per gift in mind.
 
 
 
For just over $6 each, I've managed to create these gorgeous little sewing kits, each one in a colour to that suits the taste of the person to whom I am gifting it.


 
Thimbles and hand crafted Needle Threaders are to be added in toning colours, but I'm happy with both the amount of time and money I've spent, and know that these will be an appreciated and well loved gift.
 
I'll be packaging these in the French Script paper you see in the background of these photographs, which is one of my signature wraps. That's important too. Find a way to present your gifts so that the presentation is uniquely you.
 
You can find a downloadable French Script paper here, or do as I do, and create your own. I use butchers paper and a fat marker pen, and just write all over it in big loopy writing.
 
Start NOW for your online sourced gift buying. Don't leave it till October or November, because often these items take 5-6 weeks to reach you. That's why the 'postage' is free!
 
Have fun, and let me know how you go.
 
...Mimi...
 
 

24 comments:

  1. This is the way to do it! I do a mix of handmade and bargains. I love all of these!
    I am loving the needle threader gift.. This is totally perfect for anyone who sews. So many good ideas. Thank you also for the links. I find on eBay... its knowing what to search for... then looking for the bargains with free postage! It is just amazing! Thank you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Annabel, yes spot on. Buy a little, create a little. Or alternatively, embellish your purchases creatively. A little lace trim, a bit of embroidery, some glitter paint or glitter. All of these elevate an ordinary pillow case, or fabric doll or cushion cover, to something bespoke and special. I love this because it means half the work is done for you! You are good at this too, and I know you do the same. On the downhill run to Christmas now! Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  2. Dear Mimi thankyou for another wonderful post. I've been loving all of your brilliant posts lately. This one is so timely as Christmas is not far off if we want to craft our gifts. What a gorgeous gift you are giving your dance ladies. I would love to see the end result when all the individual pieces are put together. I have learnt so much from you, it's just like having a good natter and laugh over a cuppa with a friend. Your style of writing is so warm and inclusive of all people and informative as well. Thankyou for all the effort you put into your blog- it's my HAPPY place. All my very best wishes, Lorraine 🌷🌷🌷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lorraine, what lovely things you've said today, and thankyou. I'm thrilled. I will share again, when the thimbles arrive and I've made the needle threaders and cases. I think you'll like them. I feel so happy to read your comments today. Blogging sometimes makes you feel like you're talking to yourself, so it's lovely to hear from you. Thanks so much. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  3. I do many home made gifts. My pie shaped shortbread, dipped in chocolate and nuts wrapped in valentine cello is always a hit. I get the wrappers after the holiday for .10 a package. I make fudge Easter eggs dipped and decorated also a hit. Or try home made caramels on a caramel tray purchased at the dollar store. Stocked up after Christmas for 4/1. So pretty. I just love giving little token gifts from the heart that cost very little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim, and how lovely to meet you! Pie shaped shortbreads sounds divine, and I'm with you on buying wrappers for 10c a package. Smart thinking! Fudge Easter Eggs sound mouth watering as well. I think you're on the right track! I've just visited your blog, and am a new follower. So happy to have found you. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  4. Lots of thought obviously going into your gifts, not to mention lots of planning and practicality. The recipients will be thrilled with that sewing kit. I also love the bead needle threader, fantastic idea.
    Janiebabe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Janie, I want to say how enormously appreciative I am of your always supportive comments. I know as soon as I see your name at the end, that it's going to be something positive and encouraging. I cannot tell you how much I value that. Thankyou. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  5. A woman after my own heart Mimi. I start early too, sourcing a lot of things from the op shops too. You can make it really individual that way too. There's a mountain of Christmas things in the op shops now being "Christmas in July". A Christmas plate full of cookies or a Christmas mug full of homemade sweets are always my go to for friends and neighbours.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anne, that's a wonderful idea on the Christmas in July for sourcing the makings of gifts. That wasn't even on my radar, although I'm sure you and I have discussed it before in 'that' forum. I'll be checking my local favourites out for sure now. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  6. Mimi, those are beautiful!! They make a perfect gift that I'd be thrilled to receive! I hope you'll share how to make your threaders. I've never see one like that before.

    I'm nearly done with embroidering my flour sack kitchen towels for the year, but I think I'm going to do little sewing kits for next year.

    Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Debby, I sure will share a how-to on those threaders. I've just ordered the super fine wire for the loops, so stay tuned. Flour sack teatowels sound divine too. I love that look! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  7. Lovely pieces, Mimi! Great tips. And I think it is never too early to think about Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. It's funny how just socking away a bit here and there, really relieves the pressure come November and December. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  8. Brilliant ideas, Mimi. I love making my own gifts but I end up spending more than I would have had I gone out and bought a present. I should do look at my craft supply spending habits :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe Amalia, I think many of us are guilty of that habit ;-) I find it's well worth checking the local retailers first to (a) look at how things are packaged, and (b) to ensure that you're not spending more to make something, than you would to buy it! If you're worried about things not looking bespoke enough, you can always do as I have, and add items or embellishments to personalise them. It's a good strategy. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  9. You pull together such lovely things, Mimi. Any ideas for a gender/age neutral, small gift to pop on each place setting for all my family when I host at Christmas? I am sure there's something but all I can think of is the chocolate gingerbread I made last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jodi, thankyou! Have you considered little Scandinavian Christmas Gnomes? I'll be sharing a tutorial on some soon, or you can check out Pinterest for a hundred variations on how to make them. Crystals on a ribbon or twine strand for the Christmas tree are pretty and can be sourced very inexpensively from overseas or from bead shops. Simple book weights made from a small fabric bag, filled with rice and tied with festive ribbon or twine and a manilla tag could be cute. Or you could use the China decorating pens I featured recently, to write on inexpensive plates or mugs for personalising, and pile your gingerbread, made into tiny cookies, into those. Just a few thoughts. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  10. Well done! Love planning ahead for Christmas and other gift giving occasions.
    Hugs,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Laura, thankyou for stopping by. I know you're a fan of this strategy too. I hope you are weathering your treatment well. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  11. I'm going to have to start practising French script, Mimi. It looks classy. I wonder how hand written text would look on brown paper? I often embellish brown Kraft paper with ribbons or left over strips of fabric. Your sewing kits are a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Pam, I think brown paper with script could look lovely. It doesn't have to be French either. I often just write Love, or Celebrate in big loopy letters and it looks very stylish :) Mimi xxx

      Delete
  12. Oh this sounds so much like both my mom and me! She would shop all year long for bargains for us 5 kids for Christmas...then she'd hide everything.....and inevitably forget that she bought some things, only to remember later on Christmas Day after all the presents had been opened! We always used to get a great laugh about that! Your home made gifts are gorgeous and so thoughtful, I also appreciate to give and get hand made items from the heart:) Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!
    xo Kathleen|Our Hopeful Home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear Kathleen! Yes, my Mum would do similar! And similarly forget where she'd hidden things. That's okay though. There was always a birthday just around the corner with seven children! Thanks for your lovely comment. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx