Friday, December 17, 2010

Happy Flowers...


The message on my Tray of Bliss today is from my husband.

"Don't worry, Be happy", with a big smiley face drawn next to it.

Now, don't get me wrong, I AM happy. But yesterday, despite my best efforts, I spent the day chasing my tail.

A tally of my home made gifts showed I was 7 gifts short for my many and varied relatives (if you read my profile, you'll see that this almost numbers a cast of thousands!). This shortfall was created because of my generous nature, inherited from my European mother. At this time of the year, everyone from the postman delivering my online purchases, to the man reading the water meter, gets a little gourmet gift. These random acts of kindness left me a little surprised when I started wrapping and beribbonning, and realised that my stockpile had been seriously depleted. So a good portion of the afternoon was spent making a special edition of my Spicy Tomato Relish, 7 loaves of Choc Ginger Buttermilk Fruit Cake, and some Raw Chocolate Truffles...and don't worry...although I have no intention of turning this blog into a recipe reference, I will, on this occasion post recipes, because I know that these are tried and true last minute gourmet gifts.

Gift Nirvana was achieved, but not without some huffing and puffing on my part because I had planned to finish a few other Christmas related tasks today, as this is the last 'free' day I have prior to Santas' Arrival.

So, seeing my frowns, and noting my huffing and puffing, my dearest one saw fit to leave me a little note of encouragement upon leaving this morning.

He is right. Like a babe eager to enter the world, as the first Christmas baby was, the day will arrive whether I am ready or not. So roll on Christmas Day and if the gift tally is one or two short, well, so be it!

My photograph today is of a Sunflower, taken in South Western France. These are literally the size of dinner plates and dwarfed my daughter in photographs. The were row upon row of Sunflowers on some farms, and they were a sight to behold. Sunflowers are such happy blooms. They lift their pretty faces to the sun, worshipping it wholeheartedly.

Let's all approach our Christmas Celebrations with the same wholehearted enthusiasm, but let's not leech the joy from it by exhausting ourselves either.

Gifts or not, ready or not, Christmas will come. It will be over swiftly. Enjoy and embrace the ones you love, revell in the moment, and savour the memories you are creating.

What's on your Tray of Bliss today?




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx