Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Motherly Advice...stay busy...

 
Some days I struggle to get anything done.
 
Other days I'm a whirling dervish. I don't know what that is exactly, but Mum used to say it a lot.
 
Mostly, my mantra is 'do one thing, then do one thing more'. Mum said that a lot too.
 
But still, some days it's harder to do even 'one thing'.

 
I do it though. Doing one thing, then one thing more is how I stay busy and productive.
 
Some days I choose which sort of 'one thing' I'm going to do.
 
Some days, cleaning and decluttering just ain't my thang, you know what I'm saying?
 
That's okay. I find other things to do one of, then one more of.
 
Yesterday I was supposed to be sewing and finding a new desk. But I didn't. I just didn't. I fluffed around on Pinterest a bit. I did a couple of loads of washing. At least I did that one thing.
 
Husband and I had a Thai inspired baked fish for lunch. Isn't it pretty? He's home on Tuesdays so we always try to have a particularly delicious lunch.

 
Other things I've baked recently, include Bacon and Egg pies, and Custard. Such simple things, yet so comforting, and full of memories.
 
Other things I have kept busy doing lately...
 
I looked at lots of tassels on Pinterest. I hate and love Pinterest in equal measure. You sit down at 11am, and the next time you look up it's 3pm. Well, not really...but it's a vortex for sure. Handle with care is my Pinterest mantra. Set the timer, Pinterest away until it buzzes, then get up and walk away.
 
I liked these buckled tassels so much, I made some myself.

 
I prefer my diamante buckle. I have no idea where to put this. But I love it, so for now, it's laying elegantly on my desk.
 
 
Other tassels I admired were these fuchsia ones on a delectably emerald lamp. Adding that to my list of Chinoiserie Things to Do.

 I admired the graceful lines of this pretty vase...

 
...and the Springtime colours on this antique planter...
 

..then found a vase the same shape, with a design in the same colours at my local op shop...lucky me!
 
 
 
 
I'll be filling it with a suitable floral arrangement today. I just looked in the garden, but it's sadly bereft of anything suitable. The Bromeliads have all finished for a minute, the Clivea are just starting, and I missed out on my heirloom Gerberas because I wasn't watching. My friend Jane says I should get some Frebeesia.
 
Here's the pic she sent me.
 
 
Janes' great. She's helped me appreciate my tropical garden, and weaned me off pining for the roses I am destined to be incapable of growing. I think we have some Frebeesia actually. I'll ask Husband later. We have lots of things in the garden that he just plants and waters and we have no idea what they are till they flower. Gardening in ignorance might sound strange, but it's loads of fun.
 
Speaking of fun, I also admired lots of things on Pinterest that I cannot possible afford.
 
This Italian Chinoiserie inspired sideboard caught my attention. I didn't even click on it because I just KNEW it was expensive. I'm going to have a go at making something look like it though. How hard can it be, right? A bit of gold trim, a decal or two, some faux bamboo?


 

 
I loved this fabric since I first laid eyes on it. It's out of my price range too. For now. I have a chair just like this. I'm not sure I could bear to cover it in this fabric though. Where does the eye look, really? Chair or fabric? Fabric or chair? It's a bit confusing. Mine is dark wood and dark green leather. I found it in a thrift store for $50. Bargain. I think it's staying green.


I saw this brass shell planter on Pinterest.

 
I wished one into my life. $6.50. You know where from.


 
Tassels...I love them. I do not like the price of them. I found a curtain tieback at the thrift store. $3 and with the makings of all kinds of fun.
 
I pulled it apart.

 
I got two tassels, and the makings of two more out of it. That diamante buckled tassel I made, above...that's the hollow slide adjuster from this curtain tieback, some costume fringing rolled up and wiggled inside it. I'm nothing if not inventive.

 
I beaded a bit of florist wire and put a loop on it to tie onto my bedside table.

 
 I added a potential DIY artwork to my ever lengthening list of things to help me stay busy. Because really, if you have to do just one thing, then one thing more, then surely sometimes that should be something you LOVE to do.
 
 
I tried to persuade Husband to add a Chinoiserie inspired bookshelf to his list of things to do. He wasn't convinced. He has a long list as well.


We both love being busy. We both love having a long list of things to choose from when we have a day where we just need to do one thing, then one thing more.
 
It's a great strategy.
 
How do you stay busy, when busy ain't your thing?

 photo signature_zps33fd9dfd.png

26 comments:

  1. I am trying to find the balance between rest/recovery and staying busy. What I DON'T like is running from appointment to appointment etc.
    I just want more stay home time.
    Blessings,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Laura, I hope you've found some quiet time. I know what you mean. I need that too. How are you anyway, my lovely? Mimi xxx

      Delete
  2. Hi Mimi

    Love your posts. This is what a whirling dervish is :)

    dervish
    ˈdəːvɪʃ/Submit
    noun
    noun: whirling dervish
    a member of a Muslim (specifically Sufi) religious order who has taken vows of poverty and austerity. Dervishes first appeared in the 12th century; they were noted for their wild or ecstatic rituals and were known as dancing, whirling, or howling dervishes according to the practice of their order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...thanks Linda! Mystery solved! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  3. Mimi, I had never heard of a dervish before :-) I am glad I am not the only one who doesn't feel like doing anything some days, Pinterest is such a temptation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chel, just one of many of my Mums witticisms. As for Pinterest...a vortex...just a vortex...lol! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  4. Dear Mimi ,as I did not sleep well last night today was one of those days and you have schooled me well as my head said ..just do one thing ...many times.
    Im following your chinoiserie decorating with interest as Ive had a leaning to Chinese inspired items for a long time and I lived in Asia and came home with several pieces of furniture.Black lacquer cabinets with sell and pearl decorations and gold paint that I love. And rose wood inlaid with mother of pearl writing desk and cutlery cabinet . Oh and I have the cutest shaped little cabinet with many tiny drawers with Chinese writing at front of each , maybe they are numbers or names of what the contents use to be stored in them. I keep jewellery in mine..
    Anyhow the one more idea, got me to body class, then pick up a script , do the washing and put it away when dry, empty the dishwasher twice, make pork ragout , mash and beans for dinner. Wish several friends happy birthday and commiserate with those going through sad times.And Ive still had a relaxing day so that tomorrow I can be back to my usual form.
    Thankyou for the read. Love Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, I think I've always loved Chinoiserie, and just didn't realise that it had a name! Your pieces sound absolutely gorgeous, and wonderful heirlooms. As it happens, doing thing, then one thing more worked for you that day! Well done. I hope you're back in form now. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  5. I needed this post, Mimi! Thank you! I try to get my chores out of the way first thing so that I can spend time in the afternoon doing what I want, but then I never do what I want. I just sit at the computer and then lament that I didn't do anything. No more! I will do at least one thing and perhaps one thing more :)

    I am not a huge fan of tassels, but I do love the one you made. The buckle is so elegant with the dark tassel. And I am swooning over that bookcase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, I know...we all need that kick start sometimes. I'm happy to oblige ;-)

      Delete
  6. This is exactly something that I've been pondering lately, how to stay busy when I feel like a sloth. My current method is to just listen to my inner drill sergeant ("Get up! Get moving! I don't care how tired you are, you have SO much stuff that needs to get done!"), but I wonder if there's a better way. Obviously there needs to be some sort of balance, but what's the right amount?

    Your tassels look great! They seem like they would be difficult to make or repair, but the ones you made look sleek and professional. Nice job! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, I do exactly that too. Get up! Get moving! Do something, anything! Inner voices are good. So long as there's only one of them...lol! Glad you like the tassels :) Mimi xxx

      Delete
  7. Staying busy always makes me happier. Whether it's work or play, it's nice to know we are using are days well.

    I agree with you about Pinterest. It's a great resource but it can totally consume time if allowed. I'm very guilty.

    Tassels are so pretty added to lamps and drawers...little spots around the house. I've made a few. It's pretty easy.

    Thanks for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacey, I don't always 'enjoy' being busy. But I love getting to the end of the day and feeling content with what I've achieved. I love tassels too. I'd hang them everywhere if it didn't annoy Husband..lol!

      Delete
  8. I have a very busy job so when I get home I just want to blob although I have a long list of things I want to do too. At the moment I'm finding that Youtube is like your Pinterest. As there is very little to watch on TV, I'm finding old stuff and new stuff on Youtube and really enjoying it but yes, two hours later.... My list includes trying out things you have demonstrated on your blog, plus recipes, gardening etc. I am currently working on mulching my whole garden which is a biggie as it's half an acre with a big area which has birch trees planted and bulbs underneath - that whole area needs about 5 trailer loads of mulch alone...nearly there. I have been given two bags of oranges so marmalade is on the agenda this weekend. We have a big floral festival going on where I live and so I'll be out and about this weekend too gaining gardening inspiration and taking in the visual feast that is a beautiful garden. There are lots of church fetes to get to as well. I've bought some wonderful books, trinkets, plants and 'stuff' from those fetes over the years as well as their yummy baked goods. I love to support those gorgeous, mainly older ladies who are busy busy with their church, their interests and their friends. One lovely lady that I chat to regularly is into her 80's and attends dance classes, the gym, very involved in her church and serves in the op shop. Not surprisingly she looks gorgeous, has immaculate grooming and is one of my role models. Thanks for your wonderful post Mimi. love janiebabe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janie, you always say the loveliest things. As for YouTube, I mainly use it as a learning tool. It never occurred to me to watch things for entertainment on there. I must have a look...or maybe not...lol! The festival sounds lovely and yes, great to support those local events. So much organising and work goes into them. What a dear lady your friend must be. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  9. At the garden expo in Townsville a couple of years ago I attended the rose display and was stunned at all the glorious blooms which do indeed grow in our ghastly hot and humid climate. The speaker suggested I start with the St Patrick's Rose, a beautiful yellow bloom, as it's good for beginners and grows well up here. Once we move and settle I shall be investing in one...maybe it's something you can look in to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, this is news to me too! I must go on a search. Thankyou! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  10. Tassels are wonderful for just that little bit of pretty in so many places. I have small store bought ones here and there and they make me happy when I see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana, gotta love a tassel. So pretty and innocuous :)

      Delete
  11. Hi Mimi
    Just wanted to let you know that I have printed out three of the chinoserie chocolate wrappers and wrapped up 3 different sized chocolate bars and tied them together with plain string as a gift for a friend who lent me some ski gear. I went to visit my son who has been working in a ski lodge throughout winter and we had a lovely weekend. No, I don't ski but as they say...be prepared. We did go walking on a trail with snow shoes which is more my style. My friend will be delighted with this gift. I know I would be. It looks so gorgeous. Thank you for the inspiration. Janiebabe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Janie, well done! They do look rather spiffy, don't they. I'm so pleased. I'm glad you had some snow fun. And yes...be prepared! Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  12. Hi Mimi,
    Life is beginning to settle down again. We had the 14 weeks away in the caravan, one week at home and then Katie and I jumped into the car and went to Sydney for my son and his partners engagement party. We got home on Tuesday. Our son is off to the US for three months training shortly. He arranged leave to see his Dad and arrived late Tuesday with Jo and the two little girls. It really made Bluey's day. The little family are here for at least a week. So it's lots of Granny duty for me and basic housekeeping. We are all having a great time and staying very busy indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane 14 weeks is a loooong stretch! I hope you enjoyed playing Mum and Granny. I love it too. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  13. Hi Mimi, Just checking to make sure you are doing okay. I see you haven't posted lately so hoping it is because you are on holiday and having fun with your family. Praying all is well. take care hon, blessungs Nellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nellie, thankyou for asking. I've just been busy 'doing' lately. It happens. I've just posted. I hope you are well my lovely. Mimi xxx

      Delete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx