Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Life changes on the horizon....

 
Life changes are afoot friends!
 
Big ones!
 
See, there I was, in the midst of my Chinoiserie-Hollywood Regency bedroom makeover, and having a fine time painting anything I could lay my hands on, when I received a phone call.
 
I got dressed like this, went for a comfy chat with a friend...
 
 
...and was offered a job!
 
A real outside-the-home corporate one.
 
With money.
 
Well, I thought about it for a while, because, you know, I've worked pretty hard a being retired and content.
 
But here's the thing.
 
It's a job helping people. A role where I know I truly can make a difference.
 
And it's only for two years.
 
So. Why not? I mean really. I've actually already been performing this role on a volunteer basis. So why shouldn't someone pay me to do what I've already been doing for years?
 
I start very soon.
 
Meanwhile, with a commencement date looming and unfinished projects the order of the day at Maison Mimi, I'm in uber-productive mode!
 
I painted this vintage lacquerware stacking thing a new colour....
 
 
Look! Pretty, isn't it?
 
 
 I painted a $3 thrifted frame pink..
 
 
 
I painted these cranes pink too...


 Then changed my mind and painted them Hermes orange instead...
 


I love them now.
 
I scored a pair of lamps at the thrift store for $6. I embellished them with Greek Key trim.
 
I love them too now.

 
That there underneath...that's my first attempt at faux tortoisehell. More on that later. You may recall me saying I try things 27 times before I give up? Well I'm on my 19th try of faux tortoishell and by jove, I think I've got it!
 
These fabrics are somehow coming together harmoniously for the new bedroom décor. I think my brain almost has that one worked out as well.
 
Thankyou to Judy for that stunning crane print. Isn't it divine?


I admired some Blanc de Chine figurines, inwardly cursing myself for not snapping up the one I'd seen at my usual thrift store haunt for just $7.
 
They I remembered my collection of Willow Tree figurines, gifted over the years. I love their sentiment, but not entirely loving their colour.
 
So, as you do, I painted them with gloss white spray paint.


Behold a new sort of perfection...
 


I adore them now. Honestly, is there anything you can't learn to love with a lick 'o' paint?

 
Back to that tortoishell. Here was attempt number 6. It wasn't quite right either.

 
I gave up on that for a minute and painted my cherry stained desk, satin black.

 
It's rahhhhther glamorous now. Especially after I refinished the handles with a bit of Rub 'n' Buff. It comes in a tiny tube and is a thick cream. You rub it on, and voila! Gold leaf perfection!
 
 
I liked the black desk so much, I painted the chess table black too. It has this lovely carved detail.

 
So I looked at that, and looked at the Rub 'n' Buff, and well, you know what happened next....
 

A bit glam, right?
 
No, not me. This is me in some new corporate wear. Different?
 

In the midst of all that painting and Rub 'n' Buff-ing, I trotted out this Hatchimals cake for Granddaughter number two.
 
It's true my love for the Grandies knows no bounds, nor limitations of imagination or creativity.

 
Here's version 5 of the faux tortoishell. Kinda nice, but not quite the look I was after either.

 
This faux tortoishell with gold overlay got my attention though!
 
 

 Leading me to Version 18 of my attempted faux tortoishell, which, if I hadn't sponged like the tutorial said, would have been almost perfect.
 
Of course with Rub 'n' Buff in one hand, and an old etching stencil in the other, I had brainstormed a way to replicate the above look, no worries at all.
 
 
I'm well on the way with that project now.
 
This needs to be glazed, embellished with flourishes, and preserved under a glass top, and I will be in heaven.


In other news, work has commenced on a She-Shed!
 
The slab was poured just this morning!
 
It's not a pretty back yard one.
 
Mine is under the house.
 
But it will still look a little like this...
 

 
...and this...

 
Nice.
 
Feast your eyes upon my pewter shantung bedspread.
 
$6 thankyou very much.
 
I had admired a similar one for $450.
 
Happy me.

 
And this wee box?
 
I was about to donate it, when inexplicably, one almost identical, showed up in my Pinterest feed.
 
I think it's valuable.
 
Either way...I've rescued it from the 'donate' box and given it pride of place on my bedside table for now, until I find out more about it.


So that's all my news.
 
I'm sorry to have kept you in suspense.
 
Life changes. But it's all for the good.
 
What's changed in your corner of the world lately?
 
 photo signature_zps33fd9dfd.png

25 comments:

  1. Wow you have been busy, Mimi. I hope the job goes well for you. It sounds like you already know what it involves. I am sure you will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Chel. I'm reasonably confident that I'll sail through the job. I've already been doing it in an unpaid word-of-mouth way, so it will be nice to see financial reward. I'll still be here :)

      Delete
  2. Dear Mimi, I love this post!Congratulations on the new job , and I do like your new look and gear above.The lacquer ware container looks great in the news shade with the tassel .And the gold leaf look you did with that rub n buff stuff looks amazing !Admire your perseverance getting that tortoiseshell effect how you envision it .So much happening at your place , mind spinning stuff ! Look forward to the next post , and all the best for your new job. With love, Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Maria. Yes that lacquerware turned out better than I could have imagined. It's gorgeous, isn't it? Aaaargh...that tortoiseshell was a task and a half. But I am SO pleased I persevered. It's going to be an heirloom piece I feel. Much love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  3. I was becoming concerned, as you hadn't posted for a few weeks. I thought perhaps something had happened. I am relieved that you and your family are all well. Best wishes for your new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the new job! What a great opportunity to earn money for something you're already doing. I would've taken the opportunity as well. :)

    Everything you posted looks great (I'm a big fan of the orange cranes!), and I can't believe the cake you made! That is some serious skill!!!!

    Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, I KNOW! I'm so chuffed. That cake just sort of came together at the last minute. I'd been trying to figure it out for weeks, and then it just sort of happened! Thankyou for your good wishes. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on the new job! You sound excited. I am excited to see all these "new" things you have. They all look mahhvelous!! You are so creative. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully, this will inspire me to get my behind in gear for some much needed changes too.
    I LOVE your blog!! ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nana Kay! I AM excited. And never fear. The blog will continue. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  6. Wow Mimi, don't you just love life's surprises!! It sounds like a perfect fit for you.

    All your painting and remodelling efforts look great! I'm in a bit of a rut in that regard, I love revamping kids rooms, but the grown up areas are a challenge for me lol.

    Another fabulous cake - well done!

    Jen in NZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen I don't always love life's surprises, but these are good ones, thank heavens. Honestly Jen, a couple of cans of paint, and there's no limit to what you can do! Go for it. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  7. Wow, Mimi! You have certainly been busy! Congratulations on the job! How exciting! You will be wonderful :)

    I love the tortoiseshell! Just stunning! The bedspread is gorgeous, too! And I am swooning over your Willow Tree figurines. I never would have thought to paint them! The Hatchimals cake is adorable and I know your granddaughter loved it!

    I have to admit that I am a wee bit jealous of your she shed! My big 5-0 is in a few years and I'm contemplating asking for one.

    Enjoy your blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, I DO feel blessed. Very much so. Thankyou for all of your lovely compliments. Sometimes you just get into a creative 'zone' and feel like you can achieve anything. That's been me. It will desert me soon...lol! The She Shed is I guess, a reward for my big 6-0 in 2020. Patience rewarded ;-) Mimi xxx

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on the new job, Mimi. You will be fabulous and how wonderful that you know it well already. I love your new look and you have been so busy, everything looks lovely. I love your posts too. Love, Bridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bridge, thankyou so much! Being busy is good. It doesn't always go quite this well, but I try. I'm looking forward to starting the job. A new life for a while! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  9. Mmm I thought you might be up to something...that's great news. I'm very happy for you and just as happy for your employer. They know a gem when they see one. You will be a great asset to the organisation if your enthusiasm in real life is anything like the enthusiasm you display online. I like your comment about trying anything 27 times..that's a good one. I'm more 3 or 4. There's nothing like persistence being rewarded after many attempts..it's something money can't buy don't you think? By the way the cranes look better in the Hermes Orange with the other items you have so well done you for making the effort to change the colour until they're just right. I have some of those Willow figures too...the couple holding the baby and two little boys that mimicked my family at that stage which was about 17 years ago. They're a nice reminder of a great time in my life...i.e. when I had some control..lol. Really looking forward to your insights on the working world and keeping faith with your homesteading and French chic interests. A big Congratulations from me. love Janiebabe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Up to something? Me? Nevah...lol! Thanks Jane. I'm now VERY nervous with less than a week to my start date. It will be different that's for sure. I agree about the orange for the cranes. Very stylish I think. My family insist on gifting me those Willow figurines. They're not actually really a 'Mimi' kinda thing, but I appreciate the sentiment. I love them more now that they're glossy white. Speaking of sentiments, thankyou for your lovely sentiment of Congrats too. I'll still be here! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  10. Mimi you look so pretty and professional. My hope is that you will still have time to post here. I learn so much from you. Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much Anne. What a lovely thing to say. My plan is to continue blogging, albeit in a reduced capacity, and perhaps a shift in topics, but I'll be here! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  11. Congratulations on the new position. You're HR skills will easily transition to any position and you have also secured a wealth of knowledge and skills in your everyday life that will make you an invaluable resource anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a clever chook mentioning my HR skills Rose. I'm not sure I've talked about my corporate past all that much. I really appreciate your lovely comment today. Thankyou so much. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  12. You have been so very busy - I'm quite impressed! And snap! I'm going to have a She-Shed to celebrate my 60th birthday next year! I've always wanted a little cottage in the country but for practical reasons it's not going to happen. So my shed will be my sweet country cottage. A pretty duck-egg blue exterior with a faux chimney pot.
    Delicate lace curtains at the door & windows. A pine Welsh dresser inside laden with my favourite ceramic mice from Brambly Hedge. A little table where I'll entertain my friends to afternoon tea using my prettiest China sitting in front of a (electric) log burner.
    I'm still thinking of a name for my 'cottage' - possibly Cherry Tree Cottage or Brambly Hedge Cottage. Are you going to name your new hideaway? :)
    Kay in UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay your proposed She Shed sounds absolutely picture perfect. If you're anything like me, she'll be well loved and well worn, and cozy as all get-out. I love the idea of a name. Perhaps I'll call her Ma Petite Maison :) Mimi xxx

      Delete
    2. Ma Petite Maison sounds lovely. :) Kay

      Delete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx