Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Insourcing #23....my way of putting value on my role in the home....



 Recording my insourcing is my way of placing a value on what I do at home.

I used to work fulltime, which meant paying someone else to do all kinds of things. And when I say someone else, I mean the supermarket, the doggie wash lady, the car detailer, the florist, and so on.

Now that I have embraced being a full time wife and mother, I find that I can do all of that myself, but sometimes it means I don't feel that all I do, has financial reward. But it does of course.

By tallying up what I've done in the week gone by, I get a real sense of the valuable contribution I make, not just in my own home, but in the community at large.

This week, I made gorgeous bouquets in glazed pots for a friends wedding. For a similar idea at the florist, she had been quoted $65 each. She and I made them for under $15 each. A huge saving on ten pots of roses of $500!

I cooked and cleaned for my family which I know from previous experience, means I saved at least another $500 on a cleaner, pre-prepared meals, takeaway or eating out.


I bathed and groomed the dog saving $30.

I made a basic birthday cake saving even on that, a minimum of $20.

I babysat my grandaughters, saving my son and his wife hundreds on day care fees.

I made my own pasta, and even gifted some to a friend who had just moved into a new home, saving significantly on a houswarming gift. 

So conservatively, my value in the home this week, was at least $1050 not including day care fees! To earn that, after tax, I'd have to be on a pretty hefty salary package!

The thing is, that this is not just a case of having more money 'in the bank' because it's not all about the money.

It's about having time with family, showing them what is important, so that they too, can imagine a life where they are not slave to 'a job'. That is probably the more valuable lesson.

If I can show my sons, daughter, and daughters-in-law that we have a wonderful quality of life, despite not being a dual income family, then perhaps they too, will see that it can be done.

How did you value your role in the home this week?

 photo signature_zps33fd9dfd.png

16 comments:

  1. As always, I couldn't agree more! And let me say, your bouquets came out GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Mimi. Most of the time we take for granted just what we do in terms of the contribution to the household. Let's face it - we are priceless!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your use of "insourcing" to describe your work at home! My degree is in business, so putting it that way triggers an "Ah ha!" moment for me. Years ago, when my babies were still babies, I sat down and did a cost analysis for my returning to work outside the home. My husband and I valued my role as a stay-at-home wife and mother but wanted a little evidence for family members who felt otherwise and didn't hesitate to say so. After crunching the numbers my husband and I were able to show on paper what we already knew...I am more valuable at home, particularly when one counts the things that money can't buy. Thanks, Mimi!
    Blessings, Leigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, I too have a business degree, so that seemed like a natural sort of idea to me. I agree that many of the reasons that we are more valuable at home, have nothing to do with money. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  4. Those flower arrangements are beautiful! What a great friend you are. :) I'm sure that your children do see and appreciate all that you do on a tight budget and how truly valuable your role is at home. Those lessons do not go unnoticed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I think in the scheme of life, very few things go unnoticed by children. I know from experience that the habits they absorb by observation are often the most crucial and valued later in life. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  5. I do so love your flower arrangements! What a savings for the bride! I am going to have to start writing down how I am saving our family! Great ideas. Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, writing down how you save the family money is an absolute eye opener. Do it and be enlightened...lol! Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  6. Mimi, the flowers are simply gorgeous! You have a gift for making everything look so beautiful. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful flower arrangement Mimi! bet they look lovely at your friend's wedding and what a $ saving !
    I never thought of babysitting my grandies as saving $ and putting a price on me doing it ,so to speak.Yet I would have been the first to think that of someone else doing it.You've given me a few ideas for values on what Im doing at home, thanks once again for sharing all that you do . Love Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Maria. How lovely to see you! I love thinking of my regular week as my job, and adding up all I do as a dollar amount. It sure silences the critics (including Dear Husband sometimes!). And why not include the babysitting. It doesn't change how much I love doing it. But it does make my darlings happy that they don't actually have to pay me for it...lol! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  8. I adore the flowers and the rustic pots Mimi. Just gorgeous.
    I made about $730 I think last week through DIY and in sourcing and like you if I went out to work I would have to pay someone for much of it, pay tax and not be home so this is what I do and it sets the household well ahead and very importantly I am available to help my daughter and granddaughter etc. which I value hugely. Also it is fun! I am the keeper of the home and I love it. A lovely lady said last week on my blog "Ladies man your posts!" I liked that very much. It is an important post! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Annabel! Yes the pots were gorgeous, and so easy. I actually don't know why people pay outrageous sums of money for that sort of thing. I did all my own bouquets, table decorations and cake posies for my wedding and have done many since. It's so easy especially if you're after that rustic effect. That's a great week for you, and I love that you always remember to add 'after tax'! Imagine what you'd have to earn before tax to take home that amount of money as your wage! "Ladies, man your posts", conjures visions of all of us standing at the start line waiting for the gun to go off....LOL! Love it! Mimi xxx

      Delete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx