Thursday, January 21, 2016

A Homespun year....Crochet Hearts for Valentines Day...


These sweet little crocheted hearts are just the thing to gift to friends, teachers, loved ones or to use as Random Acts of Kindness on Valentines Day.

One ball of yarn will yield dozens or even hundreds of little hearts and they make the most fantastic fundraiser. We sold hundreds of them for $1 each at a fundraiser on Valentines Day at the school one year, raising nearly $500!

Depending upon your level of skill, these take between one and five minutes each to create.

You can use any sort of yarn, and any size crochet hook. They will look slightly different or be a smaller or larger size, or more open or more closely woven depending on the yarn ply, and the hook size used. No matter what, they're pretty!

Now I'm no crochet expert, and these were shown to me by a Mum at the school, so I'll just describe it as best I can.

Crochet 4 chain.

Go back to the very first chain stitch you made. All further stitches will now be made into this first chain stitch.

Into the same first chain stitch, crochet three treble, then one chain.

Into the same stitch, crochet three double, then one chain.

Into the same stitch, crochet one treble, then one chain. 

You now have half a heart, with the trebles at the top forming the top of the heart, and the treble at the bottom forming the point at the base of the heart. So now you reverse what you just did, continuing to crochet into the first original chain stitch.

Three double crochet, one chain.

Three treble crochet, one chain.

Finish with three chain to complete the dip of the heart at the top.

Single chain through the centre hole, and draw the ends up to tie off at the back.

Ta-Dah! Cute little heart. Pull it into shape a little if you need to.

My first few looked pretty awful, but then I got the hang of it and taught it to my daughter, and we've now crocheted over 150 between us.

These need only the teeniest scraps of yarn and can be made into brooches, hairclips, bunting, stuck onto cards, friendship bracelets, or turned into those little things that teens like to hang from their mobile phone.

If you're an experienced crochet lover, you're going to love these as they are so quick. If you're a beginner, you're going to love them and want to crochet dozens as they're finished really quickly, and give you a real sense of accomplishment.

A perfect little Valentine treat....and no calories!


Sharing at...

6 comments:

  1. What a sweet idea! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. These hearts are so sweet, my friend. How I wish I knew how to crochet :)

    Wishing you a beautiful weekend, Much love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited!!! I don't know how to crochet but my 12yo daughter does. She has been teaching me. I showed her your crochet hearts and she whipped out a perfect one in no time. Then she worked with me and about 20 minutes later I could do it too. I have a little stack beside me that I made today in white and pink. Thank you so much for this darling project.
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet! I knit but this makes me want to learn to crochet! I can think of some cute gift ideas using these.

    Have a lovely week! Blessings, Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaawww... These are so sweet and so beautiful! Thank you for sharing this pattern at Tuesdays with a Twist! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  6. so sweet and such soft yarn! love the little hears and would sprinkle them everywhere! Thanks for sharing at our Valentine's party!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx