I like to put a dollar value on what I achieve in the home week by week.
It makes me feel I'm contributing something important to our life, and gives me a real sense of satisfaction.
It also allows me to put actual money saved away, for something more exciting that a cleaning lady or a takeaway meal. Things like our Mediterranean cruise, which departs in just nine weeks. We can't wait. Insourcing went a long way to helping us save the substantial sum required not just to cruise, but to fly to the departure destination, enjoy a stopover on the flight home, and provide spending money for us all. That's a lot-a-dollars saved and a lot-a-insourcing!
Here's the dollar value of my work in the home this week....
* I prepped at least a weeks worth of bargain fruit and veges and stored them in the crisper in ziplock bags. This saved not only on buying ready prepared salad and vegetables for the week, but also made staying on track with our Michelle Bridges plan very easy and smooth, and prevented any random shopping. My savings at the fruit shop were already substantial on similar buys at the supermarket, so I'm going to say I saved a bare minimum of $50 by doing this.
* I spent $35 on remnants at Spotlight, but those remnants have the potential to save me up to $400 in gifts for family and friends, and formal wear for DD15. So I'll subtract the $35 I spent, from the $400 I WOULD have spent, and call that a $365 saving.
* I made 5 gathered ball cushions, the same as the one I saw in the posh homewares store for $59. Actually I think mine are nicer due to the fabric and embellishments I've used. Total spend including embellishments was $54. Total spend if I'd bought five similar cushions, $295!! So I saved $295 - $54 actual spend....actual saving $241.
* Savings on purchases at the fruit market, freed up money in the budget to buy some bargains on toiletries this week. I got toiletries to the value of $80 full price, for just $30. Saving of $50.
* We're sewing a tulle skirt refashioned from a bustle on a vintage wedding dress bought some months ago for under $50. We bought the dress as it has the potential to be a semi formal dress next year, and the bustle had so much fabric, we just knew we'd get one if not two tulle skirts out of it. Saving of $100 on two similar tulle skirts and gosh....lets conservatively say $150 on the semi formal dress. Value generated $250, from a $50 spend. Savings of $200.
* Cleaned, decuttered and ironed, saving $200 on a cleaning lady and an ironing lady (or man!).
* Rejuvenated herb garden, and sowed some seeds to generate a new crop. Saving up to $100 in bought herbs over the next three months.
Total insourcing value this week $1206.
Even when I was at my career girl heights, I never had a take home pay anywhere near that, and I still had to accomplish all of those cleaning, gardening, meal prep, gift buying, and clothing goals.
I'm very happy with that :)
What did you insource this week, and more importantly, how much money did you save?