Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Homespun Things...hand decorated dinnerware...

 
My recent kitchen appliance win and subsequent (already planned) kitchen renovation has rung all kinds of changes here.
 
First of all, the appliances had to be chosen. We used the Neff win to offset some expenses in our business, using the savings on those upgrades, to buy the oven of my dreams. Now in a cooler climate, this would be an Aga. But Aga make a version for warmer climates, called the Falcon. We had $6,000 to spend, and lo and behold, when we walked into the showroom to make our selection, here was this divine Navy Blue Falcon range, reduced from $8,600 to $6,000. I tell you. That thing was meant to be mine.
 
 
We had already started painting the kitchen and kitchen furniture in a flat white...
 
 
 
 ...and just knew that the Navy Blue oven was going to become the feature. I think it will look fabulous. We will be building a traditional French Farmhouse arch in which to house it. Very much like this...

 
My oven is double the size of the one above though, so it will be quite imposing!
 
So, how to continue that theme through to the open plan living and dining area?
 
Well there are plans afoot to extend the dining room and build a 16 seat distressed dining table to house our large family. Chandeliers are in the mix too, which I am beyond excited about.
 
So blue and white themed china is the order of the day.
 
Well. Can I tell you, there ain't much out there that doesn't cost a bomb. Alternatively, I'm stuck with patterns that I don't like anyway, in an effort to keep to my budget.
 
Which is where this nifty Porcelain pen comes in.
 
 
Now I have seen on Pinterest that you can use a Sharpie to decorate china, so perhaps buying the specialty pen was not necessary. I do have some Sharpies, so they'll get a look in as well.
 
But meanwhile, I set about drawing on my existing plain white plates, imitating some of the patterns I'd been admiring online.

 
This one was inspired by the Royal Copenhagen pattern below. I think I've captured the elements that I liked in this design, whilst also making it my own with small changes, as seen above. To buy this pattern, I'd be looking at 85 Euros per plate. I need 16. Plus spares. You do the calculations...eeek!
 
This pattern below, is part of the same range. So, you see, it is meant to be a mix and match look.
 
A serving platter like this one below, again in the same pattern range, I'm looking at 299 Euro.
 
 
I see my KMart $20 platter getting a makeover. How about you?
 
This Royal Doulton pattern, just lots of tiny dots, would set me back $179 for four place settings. And that's on sale.


 
I don't need the cups and bowls anyway, so that would be a waste. Here's my take on the Dots...

 
Cute Scandinavian inspired dinnerware for kids can be ridiculously expensive too. For what it is, at least.
 
This Hedgehog plate costs $17. Not bad. But still.
 
 
My granddaughters will love their French Inspired Blue Cat just as much I think.
 

 
And of course, the advantage in decorating your own china, is that everyone can have a go if they like. Here's the one my 17 year old daughter did this morning. Well, why not?
 

Plain white dinnerware is always available. I saw some at KMart on the weekend, for 75c each piece. At $10 for the pen, and a bit of time, how can you go wrong?
 
It certainly beats $100 AUD per plate! And what memories you can make to boot.
 
We are having a ball decorating our own unique dinner service. What do you think? Will you attempt your own one of a kind china decorating?
 
You might have a family heirloom in the making.


...Mimi...

20 comments:

  1. Your plates look gorgeous, Mimi! It is so fun decorating your own crockery for a very personal look. Please let us know how the porcelain pen holds up :)

    I too have seen that you can use a Sharpie for this sort of job, but further reading revealed that it is a particular type of Sharpie - oil based ink if I remember correctly. And I haven't come across anything like that when I've had very brief looks. Of course, if I put more effort into hunting one down, I'm sure they would turn up under my nose!

    Can't wait to see more of your kitchen reno, your new oven will be amazing!

    Much love, Fiona xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Fiona, thankyou! I know they wouldn't be to everyones taste, but I love them! I've since discovered exactly as you have, that the regular Sharpies don't work so well, so I'm pleased I invested in the real deal. The Porcelain 150 pens are only $10 so they're well worthwhile. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  2. I really like everything, just everything in this post of yours, darling Mimi!
    Your kitchen won my heart and your hand decorated plates are all so lovely, thank you for filling my heart !

    May the remainder of your week be as beautiful as you, Dearie !

    XOXO Dany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Dany, my sweet. You are so lovely. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  3. Looking great Mimi. Is the hutch a remodel of your vintage one or totally new?
    Janiebabe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janie, yes, it's the vintage one. I'm really happy with it and can't imagine why I left the decision so long! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  4. I love this idea, Mimi!! You are fabulous! Your kitchen is going to be absolutely beautiful...can't wait to see the finished photos.

    xx Jen in NS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Jen! I think the kitchen will indeed be beautiful! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  5. The white cupboards! Looking amazing! All beautiful! I think the sharpie idea would be really good fun to do... I want to draw chooks if I could manage it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Annabel! I should have listened to you years ago...lol! Now, chooks you could do. Just google 'draw rooster', and you'll be off and running! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  6. Wow, I love your new stove all those ovens!
    Loving the white kitchen also.
    Congrats on your win, albeit a little late here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Laurie. I can't wait for the oven to come! So many happy cooking hours and years coming up! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  7. Oh, what fun to decorate your own china! I can see why you loved that oven. It's a real beauty!! I love what you're doing and hope you'll share more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Debby, it is fun! I will definitely share more pics soon. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  8. Your kitchen is looking fabulous. Loving all things paint, I love the Sharpie paint pen idea and your take on the Royal Doulton, etc. Cookie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cookie, thankyou! I love taking an idea and making it my own. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  9. Mimi I am in love with that oven. I think I am suffering oven envy. I am also so very pleased that you were able to find the one you want. I have white plates that I purchase from a local kitchenware wholesaler. If any get broken I can go back and just buy one or two instead of a set. I also wanted a set of 6 of each and these don't seem to exist. I think you are quite brave to do this form of decorating on plates. I cant see us heading that way as we like our plain white plates. Mind you the plain white plates go onto jewel coloured placemats and table cloths, so there is plenty of colour pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, oven envy...lol! I love your idea of buying inexpensive plates so that they are easily replaceable. So sensible! I liked plain white up until now. But as our décor will primarily be soft neutrals, a pop of colour was just what the Doctor ordered ;-) Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  10. Your kitchen will look wonderful with your new stove! Can't wait yo see it altogether! Love the pen idea. You not only have created beautiful dinnerware but memories along the way! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Lynn! I am so excited! Thankyou...Mimi xxx

      Delete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx