Thursday, June 29, 2017

A New You...Dressing the Petite Plus Sized Apple Shape #6....Long and Lean...


I'm half way through my New Year, New You Challenge. That's the one where I decided to educate myself more adequately on what suits someone who is 57 and fat....hahaha!
 
I'm what is known in figure-analysis circles as an Apple. I thought for the longest time I was an Hourglass. Ha! Fool me!
 
This misconception led to all kinds of fashion failures. I mean really, we're not even talking 'fashion'. We're just talking 'not looking like a dogs breakfast'.
 
Anyways, I finally got my act together on this Apple shape bizo, and started re-assessing clothing I had, and making some (very) well chosen purchases.
 
First on the Wish List was to look more like Caroline Herrera, the Venezualan born designer, seen above left. Yes. Well, I don't have her figure, but armed with the right information, I set about finding something similar in her look, that would suit me.
 
The skirt on the right, was my solution. It was neutral, had a print that was not floral, and had this lovely piping that tricked the eye into looking at the vertical, thus making me look taller and leaner. BUT...it was too long, and left at that length, could still make me look frumpy.
 
I was also, at this stage, still acclimatising to the idea that short, fat people like me (sorry, Petite Plus Size Apples), should, nay... NEED... to create the illusion of height. See, Caroline does this admirably with her schnazzy heels, and her foofy hair.
 
So the first item on the list was a pair of nude heels, and a pair of black peeptoe heels. Done. These needed low top of foot cleavage to give the illusion of length of leg, and a wearable height as far as heels go. Hobbling is not a good look, short and fat, or not. 
 
I shortened the skirt. That was not a task for the faint hearted. This is a semi-circular, gored skirt, and it was a job I dreaded, but once done, I could immediately see an improvement.
 
I paired it here, with a blush pink cardi and scarf, took this selfie, and realised that this scarf (which I previously loved), was adding bulk to my frame in the same way waterfall cardi's had previously.

 
I exchanged it for this long vintage blush pink glass bead necklace, and look! Doesn't that make me look taller and slimmer already? Who knew, right? Long and lean accessories make YOU look long and lean. Fluffy, fat ones, well, you know...make you look fluffy and fat. Not desirable for most of us.

 
I popped this Citrus Green jacket on that day too. But it's boxy, cropped style, just makes me look boxy and cropped. Sigh. I used to love that jacket, but it's Sayonara Citrus for now. I've kept it exclusively for wear with dark denim jeans and a jaunty scarf. That's a better look.


 Finally I got the DETAILS right, and paired my altered and thrifted $10 skirt, with a $20 button down shirt in black (black minimises faults remember, white accentuates them...great for Caroline, not so much for me). I added my black slingback peeptoe heels ($150 and many hours on the net searching), and my longed for Baroque pearls.
 
I think whilst I'll never be Caroline, I'm happy enough with my interpretation on her look, to know that I REALLY CAN DO THIS!

 
In the picture above right, I look taller, more slender, youthful, but not ridiculous, and more stylish than I did six months ago by far.
 
I think I'll call that a win!
 
My Baroque pearls remain my best investment, like, ever. I wear them several times a week, and they elevate everything I wear to 'special'.
 
Here below, was the inspiration, and under that, the realisation.
 
I never dreamed I'd own something so lovely, but discipline and 'thinking like a French woman', have seen me change my approach to dressing, forever.
 
 
 
Now when I shop, I shop with a specific item in mind. It must be the right colour, the right shape, the right fit (or be able to be altered for fit...we Apples are hard to fit sometimes), the right length, and so on. If I do NOT find that item, exactly as I've listed, I don't buy anything. Another valuable lesson. The right 'thing' seems to find it's way to me eventually.
 
The little details make all the difference to whether your look works or not. Who could have imagined that shortening a skirt, wearing (non-crippling) heels, and investing in a fitted button down shirt and a strand of pearls, could make such a difference.
 
Remember...
 
1. Think long and lean, like my glass bead necklace.
 
2. Vertical stripes (like the piping on my skirt) or features are your friend.
 
3. Adding height by wearing heels and an up do, like Caroline Hererra or my peeptoe heels,  is another great strategy.
 
4. Be choosy when you shop and always shop with a list...just like for groceries. I measured where I wanted my pearls to finish on my torso, and sent the lady who was making them, 10 photos of what I didn't want, as well as 3 of what I did. I was very specific.
 
5. Shoes need toe cleavage to add length to your leg. Nude heels are great, as are peeptoe heels.
 
6. Knee length hemlines are perfect for Apples. They add length to your leg and make you appear taller.
 
7. Fitted button down shirts, with a wee bit of stretch are better than boxy t-shirts and jackets. Anything loose or boxy, just makes you look fatter.
 
8. If you wear scarves, be sure they're not adding bulk to your frame. Silk scarves are better than knit.
 
Are you getting there? I hope you're finding this as fun as I am!
 
...Mimi...
 
 
 

22 comments:

  1. Wow, Mimi! All I can say is the transition from the photo with the scarf to the next one with the long necklace is just head-shaking! I can't believe the difference in your appearance!

    What really boggles my mind is that an ordinary person with ordinary clothes is accomplishing this--not a stylist with thousands of dollar's worth of clothes and professional photographers with fancy lighting.

    By the way, if I had to guess your height, I would say you look about 5' 7". So you really are making yourself look taller than you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sue, yes, it is astounding what a difference such a simple thing can make, isn't it! And the funny thing is, that the scarf looked fine in the mirror. It was only when I took the selfie, that I cringed! I'm still mastering the Selfie, but I tell you what...it's a fantastic tool for this purpose. It's like suddenly being able to see yourself as others see you. I loved what you said about me being an ordinary person, with ordinary clothes. That is exactly what I see is missing from the landscape, and I dearly want to address that. So that one little comment has made my year. Honestly! Thankyou! As for my height, I am a petite 5'3". Those additional 4 inches you see, are all an illusion. That is the power of detail :) Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  2. The difference between your two pics: with scarf and with long necklace are amazing! You put together a great look and thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Penpen, I know! Who could have imagined! And thankyou...xxx

      Delete
  3. Thank you Thank you Mimi! This is exactly what my mission of today is! And visiting Bernideens blog led me to you! Instead of ditching my wardrobe (well, maybe) I will alter a few things and actually try on outfits to assess the "look" more accurately. I also have way too many waterfall summer wraps and way too long scarves - oh no!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Denise. How lovely to meet you! Remember that knowing your own Body Shape is vital. I am a petite Apple. You may well be an Hourglass or an Inverted Triangle. Before culling your wardrobe, make sure you are dressing for your shape. That is the BIGGEST secret of the chic French woman. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  4. Great article! Very informative for my apple shape!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cindy. I am pleased to hear you have found it helpful. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  5. Hello my very stylish friend. You are definitely achieving the goals that you set yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jane, thankyou. Achieving lifelong goals, whatever their shape or form, is always a good feeling. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  6. You look stunning Mimi.Im very inspired.Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for demonstrating the style ideas you are gaining from your course. Very interesting really and as you say the proof is in the photo. I will definitely be more mindful of the 'rules' when I shop.
    Janiebabe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Janie, it's been an eye opener, that is for sure! I'm constantly amazed at what a difference a few little tweaks, and a mindset of only buying the very thing you need, makes. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  8. Thank you for all the tips, especially about assessing *needs* and taking a list! I can definitely use some help in the appearance department! After having two surgeries last year, my weight is absolutely cuckoo. -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Marci, that one was a revelation for me. So often when shopping for clothing or shoes or bags, near enough has been good enough. I don't do that with the groceries. I don't buy 9 apples when I need 12, or 3.5 litres of milk when I need 4. So why do it with clothing that I will wear for several years? Isn't that odd? No more! I'm sorry to hear you've had 2 surgeries. I hope you are on the mend now. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  9. This post made me smile, Mimi...thank you for sharing. Looking fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear PP, stay tuned. I've only just got started ;-) Mimi xxx

      Delete
  10. Fascinating Mimi. Swapping the scarf for the bead necklace was a stroke of genius. I think I am a double apple - one sitting on top of another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sherri, isn't it amazing that such a simple thing can make such a difference? I'm pretty sure that an Apple on an Apple, is still an Apple...lol! Stick with me. We'll learn together. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  11. Wow! Final result is amazing, you look gorgeous! Thanks for the tips, I will implement it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lulubel, I hope you're as amazed as I am at the difference these little things make. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx