Monday, July 11, 2011

Monday Musings....White Noise


I love this photo, recently snapped at Falls Creek in Victoria.

I've always been fond of the monochramatic in art, decor and fashion. The visual impact of a layers of a single shade or variations in a shade appeals to me, adding a depth not achieved with a single layer of colour.

Isn't life like that too?

I am sometimes frustrated by the sameness of my life. As a Mum and Wife,  I go about the same tasks day in day out. I could perform my daily tasks blindfolded. I know that on any given day, at 7:15 I'll be laying out the breakfast dishes and accoutrements, at 8:15 I'll be hanging out the washing, at Midday I'll be making lunch and at 3pm on the dot, I'll be collecting The Dancing Diva from school and doing the run to either dancing, singing or theatre practice. Some days it makes me want to scream.

But when I step back from my life and look at it wholistically, here's what I see.

I am creating a home. A sense of stability. Family memories. Routine. My family knows 'what's coming next'. I'm showing my daughter that you stick at something even when it's boring, that sometimes you put others needs before your own, that it's okay to be 'busy' and that being 'busy' is not a thing to sigh over and wish it gone. Being busy is a fact of life, and it's what makes life interesting.

Don't get me wrong, we, as a family, have many days where we do nothing, but we prepare for them. We ensure that each of us has first fulfilled our other commitments, be they to a sport, a friend, our disabled son/brother, or the home in the way of chores and responsiblilities necessary to keeping our little base clean, warm, welcoming and a sanctuary for ourselves, our family and our friends.

I don't understand this current attitude that to 'be busy' is a terrible thing. As a famous someone once said 'I'll live while I'm alive, sleep when I'm dead'.

I relish every opportunity to pamper my family, keep our home a home, spend time with extended family and friends and indulge my daughters desires for a theatrical life. I welcome the chance to experience fresh things through travel and participation in activities new and foreign to me.

At the age of 52, I recently tried snow skiing for the first time. I was predictably terrible at it, but buoyed enough by my efforts that I'd like to be better. Other things I'd like to try this year are making jewellery with Silver Clay, honing my French cooking skills with a short course, and working on my unique ideas for family portraits.

So, yes, on first sight, my life is very much the same all day, every day. But upon further investigation, there are many layers of 'the same', and all of it good.

What's on your Tray of Bliss today?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for reminding me of the sacred in the mundane! I too have days where I feel like screaming from doing the same things each day, but then I remember how blessed I am to be able to care for my family and their needs, as well making time for my own interests. I want to be around to enjoy my little grandson, so this year I joined a gym, next year I hope to take swimming lessons so we can swim together! I'm thinking about learning French, as I hope to go to Chartres, in France some day. But my Tray of Bliss today? Do nothing! And for just this one day, it feels great! Back to crazy busy life tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Nana Mari. Yes we all forget to just stop and breathe sometimes, don't we? Learning French is at the top of my list of things to learn too. I hope your do-nothing day has been a blessing for you :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx