Sunday, April 10, 2011

Salubrious Sundays.....

sa·lu·bri·ous
  • adj
  • Conducive or favorable to health or well-being.
 ~definition thanks to The Free Online Dictionary~

Isn't it funny...I always had an idea that Salubrious meant something enitirely different and had all sorts of other connotations.

But it is such a lovely word. In the city where I live, there is a suburb called Salisbury. I used to love the train trip from the suburbs to the city as a small child because the conductor would call out the stops. I was fascinated with the way he said Salisbury. "Saaaawlzbree, Saaaaawlzbree station" he'd call. I'd try to imitate him, loving the way the word rolled around in my mouth like a peppermint before being relinquished.

"Salubrious" is another word like that I think.

On my Tray of Bliss today is the opportunity to do something salubrious.

Having said yesterday that our garden is nothing like Monet's Garden at Giverny, I must say that by sub tropical standards, it's still very lovely. All leafy and green and with patches that have just the right amount of gloom to cut the morning glare. There's a flash of orange here from the Strelitzias, an underscore of violet from the Gingers, and the tinkle of a water feature not too far away.

Breakfast is a black coffee...my favourite kind...vanilla infused...and a Yoghurt, Honey and Banana Parfait. Easy to replicate...here's the recipe in four sentences....

In a small glass or compote dish, layer thick yoghurt, and sliced banana. Drizzle with local honey. Repeat these layers until the glass is full. Consume enthusiastically.

Note my little Coffee bag...On one of our trips to Paris, we indulged in afternoon tea at the Hotel du Louvre. They have a sumptous lounge there and the tea was delivered in an exquisite Limoges cup with a silk organza teabag..I've never forgotten it. Yet it was only a little while ago, that I discovered that the tiny organza bags found in Haberdashery stores make a fine impromptu coffee or tea filter a `la Hotel du Louvre.


Just pop the tea leaves or coarse coffee grounds (not instant) into the teeny bag, and place in your cup before pouring boiling water over them. I find the first cup brewed this way is a little strong, but the second is perfect. And you can't beat the luxurious look of the shimmering organza and shiny satin ribbon for making you feel just a wee bit Princess-ish.

Today the digestive system takes a rest and we eat light. Salad leaves from our garden with a poached egg perched atop for lunch...eggs sourced from a friend with her own chickens. Then a light soup for Dinner.

We awaken with new zest on Mondays and wonder why we don't eat like that more often. But ahhh...yes...we don't have to DO anything on Sunday. We basically lounge around for the bulk of the day, indulging in a Pre-Prandial walk at dusk, taking our daughter and our Whippet along to admire the neighbourhood.

But then there's another Sunday, just around the corner.

Sharing at...



6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfect Sunday Mimi :-) And thanks for adding me to your favourite reads x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned something from your post. You mentioned strelitzia and I looked it up. I now know that I have 2 strelitzia trees in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking me on a lovely journey. Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop!

    Shellie
    www.thefabjourney.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a lazy Sunday. Although I call it a lazy Sunday, we do plenty, but it's generally just a day at home. Pottering around, cooking, cleaning, doing bits and pieces. It's good for the soul.

    Sally @ Life Loving
    #LifeLovingLinkie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely breakfast! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like my kind of Sunday! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx