Friday, October 20, 2017

Dressing the Petite Plus Size Apple #9...style outfits to suit your shape!

 
As a Petite Plus sized Apple shape, I have to accept the limitations of my size and height.
 
Seen below is my new Summer Nautical flavoured dress, styled as it is everywhere, with a denim jacket, flip flops, dark lipstick, and statement necklace. Nothing wrong with that, right?
 
Well...no. BUT it makes me look shorter, fatter, older, and rounder than I already am...lol!
 
 
Look at it here below, styled with nude wedges, bright lipstick, bright jacket that sits below the hips to add length to my torso, a sterling silver heirloom pendant, and orange clutch.
 
There's a difference, isn't there.

 
I think this look makes me look taller, more youthful, happier, healthier, more glowing, and slightly more slender, than the denim jacket version.
 
Lesson learned. Slim young things can wear the t-shirt dress-denim jacket-flipflop look.
 
I however, cannot, and should not. Not any more.
 
I need a column of colour centre front to slim my frame. I need a long, good quality pendant to add length and class to my ensemble. I need nude heels to lengthen my legs and add height to my silhouette. I need bright colours to take a few years off my age.
 
I know what to do. It's interesting, isn't it?
 
What do you think? Which look do you prefer?
 
...Mimi...

15 comments:

  1. You are right, Mimi. Good choice. I don't own one dress but do have a few skirts that I wear in summer. I find dresses uncomfortable but you look good in yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chel. This whole dressing for your shape thing has really opened my eyes. I always imagined my denim jacket was a youthful look, and I guess it is in terms of 'fashion'. But in terms of what suits ME, perhaps not. Interesting, eh? Mimi xxx

      Delete
  2. You're looking good, Mimi!!!!!
    Regards,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm yes the orange jacket definitely makes you look slimmer and smarter. Well done. Janiebabe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janie, yes...Denim one trendy for sure...orange one definitely more flattering. Now I just have to learn to roll my jacket sleeves a la Francais, and I'll be right ;-) Mimi xxx

      Delete
  4. I completely agree about the orange jacket outfit. It looks great on you and very 'put together'! Now, where's your husband taking you to show you off?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Debby...we were off to lunch, so mission accomplished! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  5. When I looked at the photo with the orange jacket my eye was drawn to the lovely jacket first. When I looked at the one with the denim jacket my eye was drawn to the dress first. Very interesting the way colour draws your eye. I think you will get a lot of wear (therefore value) out of your orange jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting observation, thanks! Yes that's true for sure, and I guess the jacket being the more 'flattering' silhouette, that's probably the aim. Without the jacket, that style of dress is not such a good idea for my frame. Thanks for your comment! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  6. That looks great, Mimi! Just as an experiment (and being rather 'vertically challenged' myself) I grabbed a long necklace and added it to my rather unflattering jeans and t-shirt combination. It really did seem to elongate and slim me. So simple, but effective. I think I will now be seeing what jackets are lurking in my wardrobe and playing dress-up! Thanks for the inspiration. X Tracy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we vertically challenged ladies have a whole different set of issues, style-wise, don't we Tracy! I couldn't agree more on the long necklace idea. Any detail that adds a long and lean look to our outfit, is a positive. It's amazing what a difference a necklace can make! Thanks for stopping by. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  7. It's amazing what the coloured, longer jacket does to your figure, Mimi. So interesting what one can do with the right pieces in the wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, it' a lesson in the power of optical illusion, isn't it! So nice to see you! Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  8. Mimi the orange jacket looks absolutely beautiful on you. It is a longer length than the denim one and that plus your gorgeous nude shoes lift that dress from beachy casual to very smart. I think the denim jacket is too cropped on you Mimi, the longer length is so flattering. Looks great with the striped navy dress xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx