Monday, September 11, 2017

Insourcing....a week of craft, cooking, and chaos...

 
This week was the leadup to my daughters final Dance Night at high school. As she has danced for 15 years, 5 of those at school, and has been both Junior and Senior Dance Captain, this was a highly anticipated event. Sadly for her, her recent Appendectomy meant that she could not actually dance. However, she copped that on the chin, and contributed as much as she was able.
 
I helped with costuming and props as I always have. Above you see a mask I painted for a Fairy Tale Villains routine. Never one to shy away from a challenge, I purchased the blank mask, found a suitable image to copy, and off I went. I added a few embellishments along the way, and I'm pleased with the way it turned out.
 
Black garbage bags were wound and scrunched and stapled to an inexpensive mirror frame, the mask was added, and Voila. Evil Magic Mirror.
 
 
A Day of the Dead routine was on the cards as well. Far from being morbid, this is a Mexican tradition of honouring the dearly departed, and features vivid costumes, floral headbands, and celebrations for the lives moved on from this existence to the next.
 
 
Corsets were embellished with ribs, red velvet hearts and satin roses. Tulle skirts were made (thanks to some wonderful helpers!) using fluorescent tulle strips and the no-sew method.
 
Headbands were made using hand embellished Halloween skulls and vivid silk flowers, hot glued to inexpensive headbands.

 
 
 Each headband slightly different...


 
And being my daughters last year, the teacher felt moved to reward my thousands of hours of crafting and sewing as a volunteer, with a pair of Angel wings. A beautiful gesture on her part.
 
 
So of course, with all this happening, and hot on the heels of an Appendectomy, simple meals were the order of the day.
 
Pizza Mushrooms one night...
 
 
...followed by walnut and ginger brownies for a couple of days...

 
A fresh batch of home made Ricotta for me to enjoy with Corn Thins to offset the pizza mushrooms and brownies...lol...


A pork belly roast enjoyed for Fathers Day...

 
Served on a bed of vegetables roasted till soft, then mashed with a splash of sparkling wine, if you please...yummy...


...the leftovers served for dinner for a couple of days running..no complaints!

 
A hectic few weeks for sure. I'm hoping like blazes that things settle down for a bit. Too much excitement for lil ole me I'm afraid!
 
Money saved, daughter happy, husband spoilt for Fathers Day, one step closer to the end of my years as a school and dance Mum.
 
Just 39 school days left in the school calendar. What will I do with myself?
 
So many options...lol!
 
How was your week?
 
...Mimi...
 

16 comments:

  1. Good on your daughter Mimi, for being such a little trooper. That mirror looks terrific, clever you.The angel wings were a lovey gesture of appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sherri, yes I am so proud of her. It didn't bother her too much until the week of, when it suddenly hit home that this was her last school Dance Night, and she would not be part of it. But she is looking forward to the next phase of her life, and wanted to be fit and healthy for those auditions. Fingers crossed she will have a chance of success in auditioning. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  2. You and your daughter are such talented ladies. Sad that your daughter was unable to dance but thanks goodness she is recovering well. She will no doubt have more opportunities in the future to dance again and display her talents. Those angel wigs are magnificent, what a beautiful and lasting tribute. Lisa xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lisa, yes, there will be other opportunities. Best to be looking forward to the next 'first thing' then over your shoulder at the 'last time'. I am ever so touched at the gift of the wings. What a lovely gesture, right? Mimi xxx

      Delete
  3. I sense the sadness of the end of an era and excitement of the future. Not only your daughter but for you as well. Congratulations on your wings. Will you continue in theatre costuming?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Barb, you've hit the nail on the head there. A bittersweet moment as I look over all I have shared with my only daughter through her dance and theatre participation, and the breath of anticipation to see where it all takes her now. Whether in the Performing Arts or in Academic life, I know that the friendships and discipline learned through performing, will stand her in good stead. I would like to think that I can continue to be useful to someone with costuming...perhaps still at the school? But that remains to be seen. Each stage of life brings new surprises, so who can say? Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Barb, you've hit the nail on the head there. Trying to look forward with excitement, not behind us with nostalgia. Well not too much anyways. I will try to keep up with the costuming as I really love it, but it remains to be seen. Maybe I'd rather travel ;-) Mimi xxx

      Delete
  5. Great costumes! ANd the wings are such a compliment! Do ya think you could send me a brownie or did you guys eat them all?! They sure look good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Debby, thankyou. Yes they ARE a compliment aren't they? So sweet. Sure, I can send you a brownie...they sure are good! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  6. A beautiful production with many dedicated hours of loving work involved! You will have sweet memories to share of these years, and now it's on to whatever the future holds.....Lovely photos - glad your daughter is recovering well. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Karen. Yes it will be a case of lovely memories to look back upon. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  7. You certainly have been busy, Mimi. Next term will seem so short with the Yr.12s finishing before the rest of the school. When I was working Term 3 was always the stressful term with the Yr.12s getting everything almost finished for the year. I have no doubt you will find something to do with yourself when your girl's schooling is over ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chel, you are right there. Term 3 is crazy term, isn't it. We are on the downhill run now! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  8. What a big week! Huge! Well done. The work that goes on behind the scenes for dance and theatre etc is just so much! The meals look wonderful too.
    The flurry towards the end of the year is exhausting. I remember this well. Even over ten years later! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annabel, yes, it is crazy and exhausting. But we are all looking forward to what comes next...whatever that may be. End of school is a mad and memorable time for everyone I think! Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx