Sunday, January 24, 2016

Very Special DIY Gifts...Hollywood Bubble Bath....

 

I've been dying to make this Hollywood Bubble Bath ever since my friend Annabel over at The Bluebirds are Nesting first mentioned it. 

Annabels version is all pastel loveliness, and so feminine and gorgeous.

I'd also seen some in the Pharmacy, that featured silk flowers inside the bottle, and one that had a crystal hanging from the tag. 

With three Sweet Sixteenth birthdays upon us amongst The Diva's friends, marrying those ideas seemed a great solution to the pressing problem of what to gift the girls.

I really wanted a clear liquid soap, but that proved impossible on short notice, so a clear one, tinted blue from the supermarket was chosen. It's a childrens bubble bath and was just $2 for 500mls (about a pint).

I have a stash of silk flowers purchased from Feather.com at the end of 2015, when they were selling them out at 15 for $2. A great bargain if ever there was one!

And the vintage milk bottle inspired bottles came from the cooking aisle at the supermarket, where they too, were marked down to under $5.

Annabels recipe suggests inexpensive bubble bath, Epsom Salts and Glycerine, leaving the Epsom Salts out for gifting, as they tend to settle to the bottom. So that's what we did. 

First we rolled up the silk bloom, and eased it through the mouth of the bottle, shaking the bottle once it was in, to make sure it faced upright.

Then we gently decanted the bubble bath from it's plastic supermarket bottle, into the fancy one.

The bottle of bubble bath took up most of the room in our vintage style bottle, so we added just two tablespoons of the Glycerine (which we had on hand but which is also under $5 a bottle), and 2 teaspoons of Rose Geranium fragrance oil. That was certainly enough, so that an experimental drizzle, used as handwash, left our hands soft and sweetly scented.

A couple of pinches of glitter went in with the glycerine, and it formed a huge bubble, a bit like the blobs in a lava lamp, which looked pretty but wasn't the effect we wanted. So sealed the bottle well, and gently turned the bottle over and over, to distribute both the glycerine and the glitter uniformly.

I had some Pendeloque crystals that I'd ordered for a chandelier restoration project, which I've yet to get to, so they were repurposed as the decoration for the neck of the bottle. These are very heavy, and much prettier than the plastic version and were sourced from Sunset Crystals for just $4 each. 

A sliver of narrow craft ribbon was poked through the hole at the top of the crystal using a corn cob holder (!) to facilitate the process. The ribbon and crystal were then tied around the neck of the bottle, where it sparkled very glamorously, and can be removed and used as a room decoration.

The tiny points of light that you see in both the top photos and this one below, are the glitter. But truly, the photos don't do them justice. The effect of the white glitter, suspended in the blue bubble bath is very pretty indeed.

The girls were completely and utterly captivated with their bubble bath, and the mothers clamoured for the instructions, so I think we can call our project a resounding success.

 
...Mimi...
 
Sharing with friends at...
 
DIY Sunday 
My Romantic Home 
Create and Share

16 comments:

  1. You are an incredible woman, with amazing talents, and the ability to take frugal living to a whole new level! This is a wonderful gift that you created at a fraction of the price!

    I love doing this too. I just delivered a handmade gift today that would have cost significantly more if I had tried to purchase it at the store. I love being able to do that!

    You are an inspiration with all your wonderful frugal ideas! Have a wonderful day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou....what a truly lovely thing to say! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful gift! I will have to remember this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty isn't it Debbie. And practically no skill or special equipment required. I love that! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  3. Absolutely delightful, my friend. This would make such a beautiful gift and it would be wonderful to have on hand {{smiles}} You are such an inspiration, dear Mimi. Hugs and love to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Stephanie my lovely. You are always so sweet. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  4. You certainly are creative, Mimi. I am sure the girls really loved their gifts. You described Annabel perfectly ~ feminine and gorgeous. LOL! I think she likes pink but am not sure. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Chel. I 'think' she does too! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  5. What an imaginative gift! Thanks for sharing. Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Lynn. I'm glad you think so. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  6. Dear Mimi, Thank you so much for mentioning Bluebirds. I love bubble bath and many you buy are not great. I haven't made this is a while... maybe I am overdue and also I just thought of someone who has discovered baths!
    The benefits of baths are so many. Lots of people never have a bath as they are in a rush etc. But almost every spa in the world features luxuriating in water. It is good for us. It skas away aches and pains, detoxifies etc. It is so good and something we can do so easily at home. I find a bath very comforting and the big bubbles so luxurious! Ok Im going to make this again! With love and thanks Annabel.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Annabel, you're spot on there. Some are little more than over perfumed dishwashing liquid. I love that this one leaves your skin so soft, and delicately scented too. This was a massive hit with all the girls. Thankyou so much for the idea. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  7. I love bubble bath but learned the hard way not to put it in the jacuzzi tub! I m so glad I found your blog. Thanks for linking up at #ThursdayFavoriteThings! I hope to see you also at #OverTheMoon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, it's been quite a while since I've had a bubble bath! Thanks for lending your creativity to the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop! I also pinned this to the Thursday Favorite Things Pinterest Board.

    Shellie
    www.thefabjourney.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx