Tuesday, January 24, 2017

A New You....25 more stylish shoes to wear when your feet hurt...

25 more stylish shoes to wear when your feet hurt...

25 more stylish shoes to wear when your feet hurt... by mimi-briji featuring leather flat shoes

Some of you may know that I have a thing about shoes. Since I was very small, I have spent more time choosing my shoes, than I have on the entire rest of my outfits. Now, back in the day, that meant some pretty high fashion, and very high heels!

Alas those days are gone, but I have discovered some strategies that allow me to indulge. Maybe they can help you too.

Now, I am not a Podiatrist, and if you have troublesome tootsies, then you're best guided by the experts on what to wear. But if like me, your poor feet are just carrying a bit more of 'you' than they once were, or you suffer with tired feet or walk all day as I sometimes do, then these are some solutions I've found. Also, if we're going to adopt the mantra in our New You year, of 'I can do better' as far as our appearance goes, it's worth reassessing whether you can wear perhaps a small heel, or a platform wedge of the type that is really a flat shoe, with a raised heel bed, or find a prettier shoe than you currently wear (runners, anyone???).

I've only recently discovered that the nude/tan wedges I bought just before Christmas, are incredibly comfortable, versatile, add height to my petite frame making me look slimmer (truth!), give a dressier look to anything I wear, and due to their skintone colour, add length to my legs, giving me a longer, leaner look. And they were only $15 from KMart here.

 Metallics and pearl finishes seem to give the same effect as nude or tan shoes, either toning with clothing, or merging with skintone to lend length to the leg, whilst adding a dressier look.

My list would not be complete with my Birkenstock Gizeh thongs, which I've raved about for years. They're a little dressier than thongs/flip-flops/jandals, and give better support to your footbed. They ease back pain, and fatigue, and whilst a little expensive, last me on average 2-3 years each pair, and that is with daily wear.

So in summary, in colours, I look for nude or tan, and metallic, patent, and pearl finishes (particularly if I'm making a choice in darker colours). For heels, I choose a low chunky heel, flat, or platform wedge, looking for those where the footbed is still mostly flat with the wedge providing height, and where my body weight will be more evenly distributed. Even kitten keels (supposedly a better choice for those of us with sore feet) find me wobbling around without confidence.

I also look for support for my soles and arches through inserts or inbuilt support.

And finally I have found that seeking shoes that enclose my foot firmly, such as boots, bootees, nude gladiator styles (dark colours visually shorten my leg), moccasins and lounge slippers, and ballet flats with some sort of strap or ankle strap to again, hold my foot in place, are all great choices for me. Maybe they can be for you too.

I hope this is helpful. I've seen budget and designer versions of all of these ideas, so check online and in your local stores. As I say, my new favourite wedges and heels, both came from KMart at $15 each!

PS. I have absolutely no idea why I am typing so small today!

It's different, isn't it!

Love, Mimi
 

12 comments:

  1. I wear Aussie thongs all the time at home. This brand provides some support for my sore feet. I was looking at them today and thought 'I can do better'. Rivers have a lovely range of comfy sandal and slides for $20/pr. My colour style is rainbow, so I came home with a yellow pair and a black pair with dark grey leaves on them. These will be my around the house shoes, rather than my pink thongs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, Bravo! Both of these choices sound more stylish, and dare I say, more comfortable than your pink Aussie rubber thongs (flip-flops to others not underwear). I am so proud of you. I bet you don't regret it for an instant! Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  2. Dear Mrs. Mimi,

    I broke my ankle five years ago. :( It makes me so sad because I used to LoVe to wear snazzy shoes. Any shoe I wear has to be flat with a pretty stout sole on bottom. It is so hard to find pretty shoes with those requirements. But I keep looking. lol :) In the winter here, I mainly wear winter dress boots to church or all-weather boots everywhere else. In the summer, it's those ugly tennis shoes that work best for my ankle. haha!! :D But I have found some cute flip-flops with good soles that work for then. I don't have a ton of shoes because of this ailment. It looks like in your graph, you have some very stylish, flat, strong soled shoes. I need to find shoes like that! :) Across the many miles, Yours very truly, Melinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Melinda, I'm sorry to hear of your injury. Certainly those kinds of injuries do impact on our ability to wear pretty shoes! I hope you are able to find something suitable based on my suggestions. Love to you too. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  3. I miss cute sandals! We're supposed to get either cold rain or light snow later this week. C'mon, Spring!
    Wearing anything too dressy day-to-day in our little town would look odd, but I have been trying to stay away from constantly wearing my sneakers to run errands and have opted for booties instead, preferably something that is sufficiently warm but doesn't make me look like Nanook of the North. If the snow accumulates, though, I cuddle up to my inner Nanook because I don't like to be cold, either!
    Blessings, Leigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Leigh...ahhh the hazards of blogging across the miles! Of course sandals are not practical for you just now, but soon! I laughed at your Nanook of the North comment...haven't heard that in years! Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  4. I broke my foot right where the big toe meets the big part of your foot years ago and have had to give up my beloved heals and wedges. My foot can no longer tolerate more than about a 1 inch heel. Oh I have some really cute heels too! Luckily one of my DIL's and her mother and I all wear the same size shoes so she is going to go through them and pick out what she and her mother may want before I donate a huge box full.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwww. Debbie. You too? Donating them will make you feel good too. Sending hugs and commiserations on the no-sweet-shoes idea. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  5. I have to admit that I am there in my life already and go after similar choices. I found solace in the Birkenstock and remedy it by having cute prints on them. One pair is beige with blue roses while the other pair is cheetah print with pink roses. For dressier choices I choose the Dansko brand (and even purchase the gently used *which often mortifies people*)... Great post and sending you a nice big hug for the new year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jes, I think the Birkis are a great idea. I adore mine. I'll check out the Dansko ones. Thanks and sending hugs right back! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  6. Oh, for the days of buying cute, cheap shoes!! Sadly, I couldn't wear most of the shoes in your picture. I go pretty practical in the shoe department these days and stick with those that come from a real shoe store lol. The kind where a nice person in a suit actually helps you!! They average about $130 per pair these days, but fortunately last several years. They're not trendy, but not terrible looking either. My summer sandals are Aravon, which I believe have a New Balance bottom. Very supportive and steady. I have an old foot injury, a neuroma, & went thru' 3 stinking bouts with plantar fasciitis. I'm good to compromise shoes and give myself a pretty pedicure with little white daisies on my tootsies!!
    I do have a metallic pair of sandals that I love. They're bronze and are my faves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, I do find that spending a little more means greater comfort and longevity. But I am stubbornly refusing to give up pretty shoes entirely, even if it means changing in and out of them in the car! Lol! Pretty daisy pedicures are a good alternative I'll give you that! Mimi xxx

      Delete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx