Lake Weyba sunset. Completely unenhanced and taken by The Diva with her iPhone. Unbelievable, eh?
I've decided to make more of an effort to make life lovely this week. Well, every week really, but starting this week. This is often difficult with our busy schedule as I know it is for all of us, so here is what I'm doing.
1. Make more effort with my hair and makeup every day. I've fallen into a rut of hair in high ponytail, swish of mineral makeup, basic jewellery. Nothing wrong with that, and looking around me, sometimes more effort than most make. But I like looking a little glamorous for The Muso Man and The Diva. He married a glamorous woman, and The Diva missed me in my younger, very glam days. So I owe it to them to make the most of myself. So it's hair washed and nicely styled, with a more careful up-do on the alternate day. Some contouring (learned from Pinterest links) on the less than glam face, and a little more eye makeup. Different jewellery every day. I am so fortunate to have some really exquisite real and costume jewellery pieces that I inherited, as well as some very pretty real gems that The Muso Man has given me over the years, so they're all getting dusted off and shown off. I'm also trying more to vary my wardrobe. It's so hot here in Summer that I really fall back on the same three outfits, day in day out because they're comfortable. Again, nothing wrong with that, they're very acceptable outfits. But variety is the spice of life as they say and it's cooling down so I can actually wear clothes with SLEEVES!
2. Burn my scented candles. I adore them, and again, forget to use them.
3. Make some special meals. Not expensive, just different. On the menu for tonight are Thai inspired Gluten Free sausage rolls. I'm cheating and using bought GF puff pastry. A small luxury.
4. Walk in different directions. We live in a leafy area, and have some lovely walking tracks. I tend to do the same walk every day, when really, going in a different direction might lead to all kinds of pretty sights.
5. Have a special afternoon tea in the car for The Diva when I collect her from school. I used to do this every day, and I've forgotten how hungry she is when she hits 3pm. So today it's cupcakes with fondant shamrocks (saved one from a batch I've done for Irish friends) and a lime milk...yes, lime. Very nice too :)
6. Body lotion. Who wants crocodile skin legs? Cheap, baby lotion. My favourite. Arms, legs, elbows all slathered morning and evening.
7. A new book. A historical novel. Sequel to The Other Boleyn Girl which I finished recently and really enjoyed. The Boleyn Inheritance. All based on real figures and events in British and European history. Fascinating.
8. Make an old fashioned dessert every second night. The Muso Man loves them and I get all caught up in being healthy and forget that a little of something you like is not a bad thing. Tonight it's baked custard, Wednesday will be rice pudding, and Friday I'll do Gluten Free apple turnovers.
9. A different perfume every day. Again, I have lots, but tend to use the body spray that comes to hand each morning. I wore Femme by Rochas the other day. It's no longer available, but is the very first French perfume I owned, given to me by my Mum on my sixteenth birthday. I love it, and found a bottle in Harrods on our last trip there. The Diva and The Muso Man both commented on how lovely I smelled. I also have Chanel No. 5, White Linen, Paris, and Anais Anais and forget to wear them all. No more!
10. Finish the blanket I'm knitting for my granddaughter. Palest baby pink and a joy to work with.
What are you doing to make life lovely this week?